Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Oliver places - Strathmore Rd, Westerdale; Servant House, Thurso and more

Default Oliver places - Strathmore Rd, Westerdale; Servant House, Thurso and more

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and will have many, many questions! Here are a few to start.

The family of my great-grandfather, Daniel Oliver (1870-1952), was listed in the 1871 census living on Strathmore Rd, Westerdale. His father, David Oliver was listed as an agricultural laborer. Can anyone suggest specifically where they were living?

By the 1881 census they are listed at Servants House, Thurso, with David listed as a farm servant. Again, where's that?

Is it typical for farm laborers to move frequently? I've got them all over the place!

1848 - David born in Latheron, (living with grandparents in Newlands, Latheron in 1851)
    1861 - David is living in Backless Dunn, Watten, farm servant for the Gunns
    1864 - David marries Esther Henderson (1833-1906) in Thurso. He is listed as a labourer, usual residence Weydale and she is an agricultural servant, usual residence Bardnaclaven.
    1868 - David and Esther's second son, David, is born in Reay.
    1870 - David and Esther's third son (my great grandfather), Daniel, is born in Halkirk (probably Westerdale?)
    1881 - Living at Servants House, Thurso
    1891 - David, Esther, and their two older sons, John and David, moved to South Leith. Daniel had left the country. More on him later...

Any information on any of these places would be very much appreciated. I live in the US and haven't been able to visit Scotland yet, but hope to in the not too distant future.

Many thanks!

Strathmore Road, Westerdale is the main road through the hamlet. From the 1871 census, they appear to be living quite close to the church, probably in the row of houses across the road from the church.
    In the 1881 census, their servants' house is listed close to Heathfild and Bleachfield, which are both on the western outskirts of Thurso on the Thurso - Janetstown road.
    spittalhill

Many thanks!

Have a look here : https://www.historyscotland.com/arti...e-hiring-fairs. It might give you an idea of the house moving of farm labourers.