Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Farmers Permission for metal detecting

Dandod I was quoting Scottish Law ! Treasure Trove Scotland and Historic environment Scotland are quite clear, if you find something that isn't obviously modern you must report it.

I'm not saying don't detect I'm saying regardless of right to roam you should seek permission before digging because its the landowner that gets lumped with the consequences of any find.

Another thing to remember is that the right to roam DOES NOT extend to gardens, fields growing food for human consumption or fodder for animals entering the food chain INCLUDING hay fields and a number of other places. (if you don't believe me see https://www.nature.scot/sites/defaul...s%20Rights.pdf )

It also does not cover the removal from the land of anything for commercial gain or that could provide profit. So If you did find anything you wouldn't be able to remove it without the land owners permission unless you could prove that the item was not valuable (and to do that you would have to get it valued by the Treasure Trove).

Basically get permission!

I’m not expecting to find a Saxon hoard or make a fortune. My sons aged 9 and 7 got metal detectors for Christmas and I’d like to take them out to find a couple of old coins or just something to make it fun for them. I’m not looking to churn up fields just for my boys to have fun. Does anyone have a piece of land they wouldn’t mind me taking my boys to for an hour or so 1 afternoon?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12