Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: B-b-q.

Default B-b-q.

Had a B-B-Q a not long ago and only just remembered about this. The girlfriend and myself seen the B-B-Q food in Lidl & got a bit of everything,

chicken, beef and so on.

Went to have the B-B-Q

Set up the coals, waited for them to settle down.
    Took the food out of the fridge.
    Looked a the back to checked the cooking times...Info on the back said to cook in the Oven for X number of minutes. something like 45-50 & for a real authentic B-B-Q taste. place on a B-B-Q for last 5 mins.

Is it just me or does this a wee bit stupid. all the food was marked as for the B-B-Q but I had to cook it in the oven for nearly an hour 1st !!! Madness.
    Graeme

It's their way of getting around any claims of food poisoning casued by undercooking. Pre cooking chicken in a standard oven is advised by some due to the irregular temperatures attained by some types of barbeque.

I have a gas BBQ and so ensuring food is cooked thoroughly is easier than relying on charcoal.

Default bbq

I put the lot on the bbq and never bothered with the over apart from the chicken. was all good and no one was ill. Just think that it is stupid been showen as bbq food and having to cook the lot in the oven.
    Graeme

Actually a lot of the best barbecue stuff is pre-cooked before being finished off on the grill. The alternative is very very long slow cooking. Here in the western US we don't really have the hang of it but the deep South certainly does. Some of the best barbecued food I have ever had was in the airport in Memphis!

As for being sure to cook stuff through, I once had to cook ten pounds of chicken pieces by candelight following a gale that blew down dozens of electricity poles around the town where we lived in Hawaii. I was determined no-one would get food poisoning. The end result was a lot of chicken-flavoured shoe leather.

Quote Originally Posted by George Brims View Post

As for being sure to cook stuff through, I once had to cook ten pounds of chicken pieces by candelight following a gale that blew down dozens of electricity poles around the town where we lived in Hawaii. I was determined no-one would get food poisoning. The end result was a lot of chicken-flavoured shoe leather.

You could always mail that recipe to KFC and see if they put it on their menus
    Graeme