Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Old vehicles with Caithness registration numbers

Default Old vehicles with Caithness registration numbers

Some friends photographed this old lorry with a Caithness registration number on a recent visit to Montrose. Over the years I have notice quite a few well kept, old vehicles on television and on the roads down here (Central Belt) with Caithness registration numbers. Has anyone else noticed this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old lorry 2.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	34155   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	old lorry.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	34154  

These aren’t Caithness issued numbers, the numbers went from SK1-SK9999 then ASK1-ASK999 then it started at ASK101C (I think) onwards.

DVLA issues plates like these as “age related numbers” for vintage or historic vehicles. You quite often see SKs being used as there wasn’t that many issued.

A few SK numbers belonged to the late princess Diana's father Peter Shand Kydd

Lovely picture of Diamond Lils, (Esk Hotel) I had a few drinks in there in the 70s and the owner was actually originally from Keiss (Caithness) but I can't recall her real name, she was just known as Diamond Lil, and even in 1979 she still counted in the old currency