Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Caithness and Highland Sand Yacht Club.

Default Caithness and Highland Sand Yacht Club.

Anyone have information on The Caithness and Highland Sand Yachting Club?
    Does anyone do sand yacht racing here in Caithness?

One or two have Blo Karts

Bob Levens articles in Caithness.org tells about the C&HSYC that was active in the 60's - 70's with some good pics showing how it was then. A few years ago on Ebay, I picked up a programme for the First Scottish Land Yacht Championships, held at Dunnet, September 16th and 17th 1967, which attracted competitors from as far as France.
    In 2004 I designed a sand-yacht specifically for parents to build with their kids in their garage and race together on Dunnet Beach. 8 were built and raced most weekends, mainly in Winter between 2004 and 2007. They were powered by 5m2 ex-windsurfer sails, masts and booms which were pretty slick and kept costs sensible. It all petered out when prevailing winds turned easterly for a few seasons and folk moved away or onto other things. Good craic while it lasted though. Still got mine which I take out from time to time. If you want a mini landyacht that will go in the car then the Blokart is a good machine. If you want to eyeball one locally the Thurso Sea Cadets have two which their Chief (Martin Sutherland) might be happy to show and tell.