Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Rural Fibre Broadband - mismanaged?

Default Rural Fibre Broadband - mismanaged?

Can I ask how many of the new fibre cabinets have actually been switched on. Was there a joined up plan to put the cable in AND the cabinet AND connect them together?

My impression is that they are wanting the kudos of bringing fibre to the masses but lack the management experience to fund the whole package. Let me know if your cabinet is "in" but inactive!

OpenReach does not seem to know and HIE doesnt seem to know either. Who if anyone is actually managing the spending??

[QUOTE=ScottishWalrus;1180233]Can I ask how many of the new fibre cabinets have actually been switched on. Was there a joined up plan to put the cable in AND the cabinet AND connect them together?

My impression is that they are wanting the kudos of bringing fibre to the masses but lack the management experience to fund the whole package. Let me know if your cabinet is "in" but inactive!

OpenReach does not seem to know and HIE doesnt seem to know either. Who if anyone is actually managing the spending??[/QUOTE

I doubt if anyone in the UK would be able to give a definitive answer to that question. It all seems a very convoluted process to me.

Your ISP, for example BT sells you the product & sends you a router along with a date that it should come on line.
    Openreach take care of the cables / fibres & any home visits necessary.
    But the cabinets & all the equipment in them are owned & controlled by BT Wholesale.

So when I had a problem with superfast fibre many phone calls went back & forth & after trying a replacement router they (BT) put an order on Openreach to visit me, nice guy turned up & after an hour of tests concluded the fault was a tray in the cabinet. His solution was to swap me over onto another tray & problem solved, BUT, he can't just do that. He has to call BT wholesale (the owners of the equipment) & get them to run some tests to confirm his diagnosis is correct, then IF they agree he swaps trays & I'm in business again. To be fair it all worked out OK.

I reckon that nobody in an operation that consists of three separate entities has a clue of true costs.
    i

I would suspect most if not all, if you are wondering about a specific cabinet the way to tell if it is live is the lock on the front centre will be silver coloured as shown in the photo.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fibre cabinet.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	34065

The silver lock means nothing sadly, what you need to look for is the sticker. I just cant believe that it seems to be done in bits and pieces with nobody accountable for spending taxpayers money! Then again why should I be surprised lots of people involved, lots of money involved and no accountability. Our local cabinet is in five months now and still there is waffle about anyone finishing the job.

The only reason we have fibre is because of the black cat I sacrificed last October. I'll need another one soon.

I've had three "surveys" at my property this year; none of them aware of the other visits. The situation is just a complete brexit.

I am asking BT for the return of my Ultra Slow Broadband as the slow one we have is even worse

Manxman - Must be bad if you are going back to Ultra Slow BT. Whats your 4G speed? From my travels in Caithness, 50 or 60 Mbps is fairly achievable. Before you are going back from 4G to BT, it must be bad?