Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Barn Owl

Default Barn Owl

A barn owl flew parallel to us as we drove through Freswick at 07:00 this morning. Beautiful. I saw on in Thurso earlier this ear and one in the centre of Preston 20 years ago.
    They break our legs and we say "thank you" when they offer us crutches!!!

Are you sure it was not a short eared owl as it normally only this breed that hunts in daylight?

Quote Originally Posted by orkneylass View Post
    Are you sure it was not a short eared owl as it normally only this breed that hunts in daylight?

Thanks Orkneylass.

I have looked that up and I am definite it was a barn owl. Perhaps it is confused by the short nights. When we moved up my cockrel was up all night and going to bed at 14:00 taking his girls with him. They sat in there for a few minutes then came out again leaving him calling desperately for them. He always was a useless bunch of feathers!!

Barn owls are not necessarily nocturnal, especially with our light nights and 7am would not be an unusual time of day to see them
    they are wonderful birds and no wonder they have a nickname of 'ghost'

Thanks Tuggy

I have heard of Hushwing but ghost is a new one on me. Beautiful bird.

Also known as The Screech or Scritch Owl from the weird call they make which can sound like some one being murdered in the dead of night.
    Quite an amazing sight if you catch one gliding in your headlights. Would quite agree with Tugs. they usually hunt at dawn,dusk and through the night although at this time of year that would pose a problem so the likleyhood of seeing them is much greater.

Quote Originally Posted by Tugmistress View Post
    Barn owls are not necessarily nocturnal, especially with our light nights and 7am would not be an unusual time of day to see them
    they are wonderful birds and no wonder they have a nickname of 'ghost'

Think I remember Bill Oddie saying on Springwatch that barn owls hunt during the day as well as night (must be good powernappers!)

Thumbs up

Bill Oddie, DID say that Helen. I'm quite a sad person - I've recorded the whole series and am now deleting gradually to wean myself off, - Simon in Islay

Know what you mean anneoctober - something sweetly mesmerising about him!

Default at the display at Dunrobin on Monday

it's a sair fecht

Quote Originally Posted by orkneylass View Post

Barn Owls hunt at all times of day at this time of year, especially if they have young somewhere!

Here's a couple of photo's for you!

nirofo.

Barn Owl chick with mouse.

Barn Owl at nest hole.

Smile

What fantastic 'photos nirofo, am tempted to ask , - was the mouse asking if her bum looked big in this.......?
    Sorry, have childish sense of humour.