Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: 2 questions

Default 2 questions

does anyone know how to check the speed of my broadband - computer seems very slow and...

does anyone know how to clear out unwanted and temporary files - apart from deleting one by one?

Quote Originally Posted by jinglejangle View Post
    does anyone know how to check the speed of my broadband - computer seems very slow and...?
    Just go Into My Network Places, click View network connections in the wee menu on the right and right click on Internet connection and click Status, should show speed just there

Quote Originally Posted by jinglejangle View Post
    does anyone know how to clear out unwanted and temporary files - apart from deleting one by one?
    Depends on what type of Browsers your usin' but on here, you click tools and then Delete Browsing Histroy, Tempory internet files can be deleted yonder

Hi JJ

As per the last reply but the first one will probably only work if it's a USB broadband modem you're using - it you're connected using an Ethernet modem or a router then it'll probably just report that you're connected at 100Mbps!!

If you're using one of the latter then you'll need to access its configuration pages to see what speed it is connected to the Net.

On the occasions when I've wanted to check this I use a real antique piece of software called 'Stat N Perf' (statistics & performance). I just checked and it's still available online here:

http://www.soft4ever.com/StatnPerf/En/

I'm reasonably sure I was using this (I have version 1.06 still on my PC) as far back as with Windows 98 probably even Windows 95 and a definitely a top of the range 33.6 kbps external dial-up modem if it gives you an idea how long it's been around, works with internal & external devices and internet by ethernet.

Still works ok in Win2000 & WinXP (not checked with Vista).

Hope this may be helpful.

Default Broadband speed.

Hi.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ have a Broadband speed tester on the top right side of the page. It will give you an indication of your connection speed only so you should be able to rule out the PC or software issue. No software to download to the computer.
    Graeme