Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Old Plane

Default Old Plane

Did anyone hear or see the plane that flew over Caithness yesterday about 4pm looked like a Lancaster from the distance

Default Old plane.

Yes we saw it. Came right over us in Brough.
    HEADWARK

My uncle was a navigator in a Lancaster during WW2. He was shot down over Germany.

This got me to research his RAF career a few years ago and I got quite interested in what these planes and their brave crews achieved. Now someone on here may know better than me but I seem to remember finding out that there was only one Lancaster still capable of flying. I remember because of the name painted beneath the cockpit.....Just Jane. I think they left the y off the end by mistake HaHa. The plane was stationed in Lincolnshire.

If I'm right then it seems unlikely that 'Just Jane' would be this far north so I'm intrigued to know what this plane over Caithness might have been.

Could have been one of the old maritime patrol shackletons that were based at kinloss they were based on the the Lancaster and looked and sounded very similar but I'm not sure if there are any still air worthy, did hear there was a effort to get one back in the air though

The plane had a twin tail or H tail slow sounding engine, A Lancaster was at Sheffield on Saturday and spotted flying about on Sunday can't imagine it got lost up here.

This was posted on Fb a few days ago

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capturefrt.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	33953

That's the one thanks for that makes sense the size and twin engines