Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Captain William Innes in Thurso

Default Captain William Innes in Thurso

In his book Caithness Family History, John Henderson mentions that there is some confusion as to a Captain William Innes. Were the two??.
    I have some info that may clear this matter.
    a)Captain William Innes and his spouse Margaret McAlister had a son named William on the 28 May1771 registered in Thurso.
    b)Captain William Innes and his spouse Margaret McAlister had a son named William on the 20 Aug. 1779 in Thurso.
    c) This time another birth was recorded and read: Captain Innes and his Lady Innes had a daughter name Christian or Christiana on the 12 May 1788 in either Uphall or Strathbrock.

I wonder if the two Williams, 28 May 1771 and 20 aug. 1779 were also Captains.

I am now convinced that the William born 20 Aug.1779 is my direct ancestor to William Innes born about 1778 whoes father was also called William but that his mother was unknown. His death extract in 1861 does confirm this .

Can anyone help regarding this Captain William Innes.

William Innes in Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Sorry, I can't help with your query but just to clarify, the William born1771 would almost certainly have died before 1779 as they would not have given the child born in 1779 the same name as an existing child.

At 1st. I did think like you that William born 1771 did die before 1779. I am now working on the thought that both Williams did survive because of what John Henderson says in his book. I am now looking at William b.1771 to see if there is something else in the Caithness area about him.
    William