Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Broadband & phone line probs

Default Broadband & phone line probs

I've just changed my computer from my old one to my laptop. I've installed the modem exactly the same as I did with th old one but it seems to be interfering with the phone line. While I'm on the net or have the linee phone connected to my laptop the phone makes a noise when we try to use it. We have to remove the line from the laptop and then we can use the phone ok, but not both together. Any ideas?????????
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

have you connected an adsl filter to your line as you need one for each phone in the house

yip..................sounds like ADSL filter to me too
    Regards

Brian Mackay
    www.caithnessfootie.co.uk

Have a filter attatched.
    I've not changed the line setup at all just the computer. I didn't have any probs with the old computer so I don't understand it!

I also have a spare filter so I've tried changing it and it still doesn't make a difference.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Any ideas guys cos I'm having to unplug the line from the computer everytime I want to use the phone.

Like I said everything worked fine on my old computer running ME (Don't know if that makes a difference) but since I changed to my laptop running XP I can't get them to work together despite the setup being the same.

when you saythat you are having to disconnect the line from the computer, I assume you mean you are disconecting it from the modem? (And I'm also assuming an ADSL modem). Is it a USB connection from the modem to the PC?

When you say that if you leave it connected it makes a noise what sort of noise does it make?

Hi, Porshie

Could be down to a number of reasons. Check your connection settings and make sure that it is not set to dial out - this is for dial-up only. Make sure you have a splitter/filter for each telephone socket. Make sure the modem/router is connected to the main (or 1st) telephone socket - generally in the hall.

As InTheNorth said - what kind of noise does it make? PM me if you like.
    "Step sideways, pause and study those around you. You will learn a great deal."

The noise depends on where I plug the phone line in. Sometimes it's static and then other times it's a very faint dial tone for a few seconds and then a continous tone like the lines dead.

I'll just go through your replies and see what happens and then get back to you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    The noise depends on where I plug the phone line in. Sometimes it's static and then other times it's a very faint dial tone for a few seconds and then a continous tone like the lines dead.

I'll just go through your replies and see what happens and then get back to you.

Thanks
    Yep, sounds like the settings are wrong - still set up for dial-up. Go to Tools, Internet Options, Conections and make sure you click on Never dial a connection. The box above should show a Broadband setting, otherwise there is more work to do.

This is really weird but when I go to tools theres no internet options just 'options'. When I go into that there is no connection settings.
    I've tried clicking on my wanadoo broadband in 'my computer' and then clicking properties but there's nothing there either, although it does say in the panel on the left 'wanadoo broadband' and has it described as dial-up.
    What the heck is going on?????
    When it connects to the net though it dials '0'.
    ?????????????????????

Oops I'm gonna appear very thick here but I realised what the problem was.
    For some reason I seemed to think that I had to have a phone line attatched to my computer and into the phone box as well as the modem. Duh!

I now have the computer attatched to the modem via USB and into a filter and the phone line into the filter and then the filter straight into the wall.
    Guess what............ it works. I have the internet plus a phone line. yay!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help though guys. Sorry to have been so dim in the first place. It only took me blinkin hours asking myself why the wanadoo broadband cd didn't show the amount of lines as I had going.

Got there in the end though.

Quote Originally Posted by porshiepoo View Post
    Oops I'm gonna appear very thick here but I realised what the problem was.
    For some reason I seemed to think that I had to have a phone line attatched to my computer and into the phone box as well as the modem. Duh!

I now have the computer attatched to the modem via USB and into a filter and the phone line into the filter and then the filter straight into the wall.
    Guess what............ it works. I have the internet plus a phone line. yay!!!!!!!

Thanks for all your help though guys. Sorry to have been so dim in the first place. It only took me blinkin hours asking myself why the wanadoo broadband cd didn't show the amount of lines as I had going.

Got there in the end though.
    Well done, Porshie. Its even more satisfying when you work it out for yourself, isn't it.