Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wick Gala in Race Row

Would you be saying that if you were black?

I hear the KKK were special guests in Wick to close the annual racism festival week.

Keep Kaithness Klosed?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I thank the lord that their is nothing more sinister happening in Wick for folk to trouble themselves with.
    It's not for you, or anyone else to consider what the LAW is and how it should be administered though Kevin. When you get right down to it you can argue that most of the things the Police spend their time dealing with, could be better spent on more important matters. Yet when it's something that matters to them, people expect the Police to drop everything and deal with THEIR problem.

Just because worse things happen it doesn't give carte blanche to ignore the law on other matters.

I hear the KKK were special guests in Wick to close the annual racism festival week
    It was ONE person, for goodness sake, not the whole town! Yes, that is one too many but as far as I can tell from what I've read, the event was a success and a lot of fun had by many who probably never even saw the guy involved. As for those who did see him, well, we don't know if any had a word and told him that he should not have dressed up like that.
    On the previous occasion, those involved were minors who also suffered afterwards (due to the national media attention) for their thoughtless and misguided (but not malicious) 'dressing up' and were made to feel like criminals- and now they've had it all raked up again.

When you black up and strut your stuff about the street I guess you can expect it to be cast up now and again can’t you?

Reading the Press And Journal article, I can't agree with Ella Green that the Lidl Wayne reveller would have been funny had the guy been white. It was deeply unfunny.

What would be funny is the same guy going out again next year as Lidl Brain

Young people in general should be careful of what they write on Social Media. It would be unwise to take objection to someone blacking up, when you used to refer to yourself in derogatory language for black people, in previous times.

Minors?

I doubt the "Golliwog Three" were 3.

Quote Originally Posted by scorrie View Post
    It's not for you, or anyone else to consider what the LAW is and how it should be administered though Kevin. When you get right down to it you can argue that most of the things the Police spend their time dealing with, could be better spent on more important matters. Yet when it's something that matters to them, people expect the Police to drop everything and deal with THEIR problem.

Just because worse things happen it doesn't give carte blanche to ignore the law on other matters.
    I didn't realise it was against the law to dress up as Lil Wayne.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

I’m not sure if blacking up is on its own considered against the law, but if someone were to make a complaint about it then I think things we liked at differently as he will have been deemed to have caused a offence and would potentially be up to the fiscal if a crime has been committed or not.

When you black up and strut your stuff about the street I guess you can expect it to be cast up now and again can’t you?
    Of course, I expect when you were a schoolkid, you never, ever did anything of which, as an adult, causes you to cringe when you recall it? No name calling, ever? no minor mean-ness that you knew was mean even as you did it? Didn't realise that I was in the presence of someone so perfect as you!
    Actually, the former incident should be done and dusted in my opinion and not cast up over and over again. The kids were upset at the time and sorry about it and were guilty of ignorance, nothing more.

I dare say I probably have indeed, but what I didn’t do was to black up then pose for pics with the press.
    Mind you blacking up when I was a Bairn was probably considered acceptable, but the world has changed and even my young kids know that it is weird and wrong to do so now.

Well, I hope that if one of your young kids ever need forgiveness from an adult for some misdemeanor, then that person is a great deal more understanding than you.

the world famous sprinter usain bolt who everyone has high regard for how would someone portray him

Quote Originally Posted by dc1 View Post
    the world famous sprinter usain bolt who everyone has high regard for how would someone portray him
    Is he the bloke with the lunch box?

I’d start with wearing the Jamaican athletics costume, run about a bit and pull the lightning bolt pose
    Last edited by mi16; 07-Aug-18 at 20:16.

I think taking on Usain Bolt is race ist.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

great comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Milkins View Post
    I didn't realise it was against the law to dress up as Lil Wayne.
    Rather silly reply there Kevin.

Never mind, anything to avoid actually broaching the real issue. Claim it's all hunky dory and move on while the town looks an outdated backwater where the Duelling Banjos music starts playing, ironically, about hand with Lidl.

Quote Originally Posted by dc1 View Post
    Put it this way, if a film were being made of his life and they blacked up a white actor to play the part, do you not think there would be an outcry, not least from Bolt himself?

Why would a white person not want to represent a celebrity of his own colour and leave black people to dress up as black celebrities?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast