Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wick Gala in Race Row

Default Wick Gala in Race Row

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-bag-fair.html

A 'blacked-up' reveller wore a supermarket bag and called himself 'Lidl Wayne' at a fair - three years after it was slammed for racism over other costumes.
    The Wick Gala in Caithness, Scotland was criticised in 2015 after a group of mates dressed as Golliwogs.
    But this year a festival goer was pictured blacked up and wearing a cut out Lidl supermarket bag.
    He wore a 'Lidl Wayne' sign - a twist on American rapper Lil Wayne.

The event has been slammed by a former Wick resident who says she was outraged after seeing the pictures on a local website
    The woman, who now lives in Edinburgh, said: 'There's a gala every year to raise money for the town.

'People dress up and there is a procession of floats and people walking through the town collecting money.
    'The gala happened on Saturday and I've already seen photos of two different people who have blacked up.
    'And another two people who have dressed up as if they are from India.
    'Aside from the obvious racism and ignorance that has happened here this isn't the first time this has happened.
    'There have been several years where people have blacked up but it got particularly bad in 2015 when three people dressed up as Gollys.
    'There were several people, including myself, who were outraged by this, as well as the black face that happens a lot of the time.
    'I'm just shocked and ashamed that this is happening in the town I grew up in.
    'I don't want it to just be accepted and brushed off as a bit of fun, people should know how wrong it is.'
    The week-long event is held every year to raise money for the town.
    It is the second time the community event has come under fire following an incident in 2015 when pictures surfaced of three youngsters who blacked up as golliwogs
    Police launched a probe into the incident after a member of the public raised the alarm over 'inappropriate behaviour' at the gala in 2015.
    Participants register to take part in the parade on the Friday night where they also pick up collection tins.
    In 2015 committee members said they are not told in advance what participants plan to dress up as.
    The woman, who asked to remain anonymous, lived inWick when the race row erupted in 2015 and said she is shocked to see it happening again.
    She said: 'The last time people did black up people didn't see it as an issue. They are so ignorant they have just done the same thing again.
    'It has shocked me that it's happened again.
    'The guy has tried to dress up as Lil Wayne. I think he's either wearing face paint or boot polish to black up his skin and is in a dreadlock wig.
    'I think Wick is so lacking in diversity, so there is no one to call them out on it.
    'After it happened in 2015 it was said steps would be taken to monitor what people were going to dress up as - but the committee just seems oblivious to it.
    'They seem really unwilling to change, they just defend it by saying it's just a bit of fun, but it's a horrible tradition.'
    The Wick Gala committee has been contacted for comment.
    A Police Scotland spokesman said: 'Officers were in attendance at Wick Gala Day at the weekend.
    'No incidents were reported on the day and the event was considered a success for the community.
    'As ever we would urge anyone with any concerns to report these to us either in person or by calling 101.'
    He added: 'Thorough enquiries into the incident in 2015 were carried out and appropriate advice was given to all involved.'
    Last edited by maggie; 31-Jul-18 at 23:35.

Default Wick Gala Racism

It seems the locals have surpassed themselves once more.
    Really casts the county in a great light, inexcusable behaviour.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...art-in-parade/
    W.A.T.P.

Default Re: Outraged of Edinburgh

There is so much to be outraged about these days that it's a wonder there are not more heart attacks. It has been said that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Japanese women often have "corrective surgery" to change their oriental eyes to a more western shape are they being culturally insensitive? If a native Scot grows dreadlocks are they changing hairstyle or being insulting. The truth is that we tend to chose what we are outraged about. Was Michael Jackson ever slammed as racist when he bleached his skin? These are all personal choices we probably have opinions on but to force your opinions on other people used to be called bullying. To call in the politically correct police to exert pressure and attempt to control entries for the carnival seems to be flirting with "coercive and controlling behaviour". Unless there is overt racism I wouldn't get upset.

Costumes are a caricature and as such an exaggeration, hairstyle being one such exaggeration. If anyone "blacked up" it would wash off in the morning. I can still remember when blackcurrant jelly babies were withdrawn in London. Nope hair styles and skin colour don't really get me bothered. Tanning salons and hair dressers are based on changing what we were given. Women with straight hair want curls and women with curls want straight hair - bless them.

Nope what has me outraged is things like the Royal Bank closing it's branch in Wick. It says "Royal Bank" but after the taxpayer bail out I kinda think of it as the "Peoples Bank". That is a verifiable outrage, well documented and will have a negative impact on Wick. If my blood pressure is going to rise then that will do it, or the Riverside Surgery, the Maternity Unit at Caithness General...

Well said SW, Bravo!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

the wick gala was fantastic, great night ,weather was dry,and everyone had a brill time,every year i go to support my town,throw the money in the buckets,laugh and dance,watch everybody go by,men women and kiddies,its been here for years and long may it last,whats not to like,the world has gone mad,the people of caithness enjoy the moment,no harm to anyone,silly little people who nit pick from the happiness and enjoyment of others well crack at it,its there loss,99%of the people at the gala had a fab time,thats what it was all about.enjoy life.

If the individual was parading around the streets of any city in the uk blacked up he would be fortunate to survive the evening.
    Blacking up is completely unacceptable in today’s world. Like it or not the world has changed and Wick is not exempt no matter how much you try.
    You would never see such behaviour in the West of the county.
    Last edited by mi16; 01-Aug-18 at 09:37.

Well said, the Walrus.

The story is also in "The Scottish Sun",

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/new...yne-blackface/

" ... Pals with him dressed as US President Donald Trump, North Korean despot Kim Jong-un ... " - is dressing as Kim Jong-un considered equally offensive?

A few years ago there was a comedy called "White Chicks" which grossed $113.1 million worldwide:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Chicks

in which " ... Two African-American men trying to pass themselves off as very, very, very white women? ... " - is this equally offensive or is this considered ok?

I found that movie highly offensive to my eyes as it was utter tosh, it was criticised at the time over race issues if memory serves me correctly, was also close on a decade and a half ago hardly recent history.
    The other two gala chaps you mention were no dressed up to mock another race, they were not painted head to toe to change their skin colour.
    Hopefully no one files a complaint with the police though as I wouldn’t like to see him prosecuted for a race crime when in all probability he is just an ignorant buffoon with his head stuck in the 1980’s

hi, i would like to join the queue to be offended how long is it now ?

bigmac I think the queue is 2 out the thousands that were there

One doesn’t need to be offended to recognise that it is wrong in every way

Can I be offended.., can I? can I? What about older male actors dressing up as pantomime dames; is that not sexist and possibly offensive to women? I'm sure if we all think hard enough we can find lots of things to be offended by.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

What about picture 113 and the disrespect shown to our fallen forces !!!!!!!

All this offence taken at anything is just nuts when the things that we should be offended by ,is the way that Westminster treated the sick , poor , opposed and give two fingers to people's choice . Sober up and grow a back bone .

"Oh come all ye people, come over the Ord, there's a welcome awaiting that you can afford. Oh be you a pauper, or be you a Lord, you will always be welcome in Caithness"

Hypocrisy or what?

The song should come with the following caveats:-

1. No Blacks
    2. No Asians
    3. No English
    4. No incomers
    5. No white settlers
    6. No Homos
    7. No Lezzers
    8. No Trannys

OK, that about covers it.

Sorry. I forgot......No Paupers and No Lords either.

Welcome to Wick, the town where it's still 1973.

If you are a black Asian mixed race from England in a wheelchair then you are totally Donald ducked

Wick can be whatever it wants to be. Just don't expect tourists or potential investors in the town to appreciate the shallow "We're alright, get it up you if you don't like it" attitude. The potential business and job opportunities will go to more forward thinking towns instead. We need to adapt to modern sensibilities, it doesn't work the other way round. For all that we might think that the world has gone mad, we are a tiny and insignificant backwater that the rest of the UK will regard as shallow, outdated, numpties.

We are pretty much out of pace with the modern world and are making headlines for all the wrong reasons.

"Welcome to Wick, come for the ye olde world Racism and stay for the self satisfied and misguided defence of same"

Still, Willie Ormond has a good squad for next year's World Cup. I reckon we can beat Zaire and go on to win the tournament after dispatching the crew that have never played in football boots before.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...ck-gala-event/

And the story continues, what an embarrassment to the county

I thank the lord that their is nothing more sinister happening in Wick for folk to trouble themselves with.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast