Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Public (in)conveniences

Default Public (in)conveniences

Please be aware public loos in Brora are being locked in the evenings just now.

Found out when we stopped there last night. Luckily had a radar key to gain access and made sure premises were secure when I left.

Both sides were locked up.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Yet they are quick enough to fine people for urinating in the street.

Maybe you should have left the place unlocked as a public service.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

I did ponder if leaving it open would be my good deed for the day, but it is a condition of having the key that you lock up securely after use. At Daviot toilets they solved the problem of people leaving the disabled facilities open out of hours by putting iron railings and giant padlocks on the outer door so nobody could get in. The A9 southbound at Kessock Bridge has been shuttered for months.....just picking them off one at a time and hope we don`t notice perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    I did ponder if leaving it open would be my good deed for the day, but it is a condition of having the key that you lock up securely after use. At Daviot toilets they solved the problem of people leaving the disabled facilities open out of hours by putting iron railings and giant padlocks on the outer door so nobody could get in. The A9 southbound at Kessock Bridge has been shuttered for months.....just picking them off one at a time and hope we don`t notice perhaps?
    Any police station can be used as a public toilet.
    Can sometimes be a challenge to find an open police station too
    W.A.T.P.

Urban myth
    You might have heard the strange claim that if someone knocks on your door in Scotland and needs to use the toilet, you are bound by law to let them enter.
    This was even voted the UK's "fifth most ridiculous law" in 2008, according to the Telegraph.
    However, this has been debunked by the Law Commission, which says it "cannot find evidence that it was on the statute book".
    The law experts say the myth may have grown around local custom and point to Scottish people's "strong sense of hospitality".

Phew!!

To add insult to injury the Highland Council are installing "pay to pee" machines. 50p admission, no change given.

I don`t object to paying if facilities are clean and there is running hot water, but some of the facilities are not fit for purpose, Helmsdale being a great example of a facelifted exterior and victorian interior.

plenty of money for gaelic on road signs & police cars etc

Advantage of being male
    The world is my urinal

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Advantage of being male
    The world is my urinal
    They have the technology... http://www.shewee.com/
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

You could just order a new Toyota with this factory fit option. Wouldn't take many 50p pee stops to pay for it.
    https://adobochronicles.com/2016/09/...ilet-car-seat/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	33889

should try burntisland in fife they run out of water to flush the loos and go in with buckets of water and have the cheek to charge 30p

I wouldn’t worry if they could flush my Richard 3rd away, just as long as I could deposit it
    Mind you I wouldn’t be keen on dropping it upon someone else’s waste

Imagine the mess if you roofed it

In France they have the "pissoir" which is basically a screened urinal. I vividly remember using one in Paris, watching traffic drive by but screened from shoulders down. It is such a simple structure - cheap, sturdy with nothing to vandalise. When I worked in the NHS it was well known that George Square provided a steady stream of patients (no pun intended) who were caught short at the weekend waiting for the bus and hopped over a nearby wall - only to face a 12 foot drop. A pissoir in George Square would save the NHS money and a lot of broken limbs!

Think the problem was that 3 sheets to the wind late at night you don't look before you leap.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishWalrus View Post
    Think the problem was that 3 sheets to the wind late at night you don't look before you leap.
    What - the loo paper was there but the bog wasn't?

Is George Square in Week or Thursa ?.. I don't think I have seen it ?