Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Question about photo of Thurso Gala Queen float.

Default Question about photo of Thurso Gala Queen float.

Below is a picture of a Thurso Gala Queen float which I scanned from an old photograph - can anyone tell me which year this photograph was taken, please?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thurso gala float date unknown - Copy.jpg 
Views:	566 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	33823

So un PC this whole thing, should be a gala person in today’s non gender specific world

Looking at it forensically.....

The vehicle has a C prefix registration. That ran from August 1985 to July 1986.

The vehicle in question is a Transit pickup, white, and owned by a contractor. The doors are not hanging off it, and there are no rust spots in the usual places. In the case of a Transit, that means anywhere, but specifically the door corners and the wheels. The number plate is pristine, and there are still complete tail lights on it - Something of a rarity on Caithness pickups.

The person out on their own is gazing intently at their fingernails - Not a mobile phone. On that subject, Wick still had 4 digit phone numbers.

Permed hair seems to be the order of the day.

On grounds of all the above, I would hazard a guess at 1986 or possibly 1987.

speaking of non gender specific, that is a magnificent looking tranny indeed
    W.A.T.P.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    speaking of non gender specific, that is a magnificent looking tranny indeed
    Is it Boy George.... The Tranny I mean?

You must be looking at the queen (not Freddy Mercury) bear in mind it was the 80’s

Quote Originally Posted by orkneycadian View Post
    Looking at it forensically.....

The vehicle has a C prefix registration. That ran from August 1985 to July 1986.

The vehicle in question is a Transit pickup, white, and owned by a contractor. The doors are not hanging off it, and there are no rust spots in the usual places. In the case of a Transit, that means anywhere, but specifically the door corners and the wheels. The number plate is pristine, and there are still complete tail lights on it - Something of a rarity on Caithness pickups.

The person out on their own is gazing intently at their fingernails - Not a mobile phone. On that subject, Wick still had 4 digit phone numbers.

Permed hair seems to be the order of the day.

On grounds of all the above, I would hazard a guess at 1986 or possibly 1987.
    Thank you for that, 1986 or 1987 seem likely dates. I had thought someone would have known the people in the picture and that would have led to the date, but your reasoning seems to work.