Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Glasgow School of Art

Default Glasgow School of Art

I see Wee Krankie making rash promises about the Scottish Government standing by to provide support for the Glasgow School of Art, alongside Theresa May and David Mundell. To include financial support.

Would they not just be better to raze this to the ground, and build something a bit more reliable on the site? That Mackintosh geezer might have been able to design chairs with stupidly high backs, but his grasp on designing something thats fireproof, and compliant with 20'something building regs seems to have had a lot lacking. Now that his building is also burning down neighbouring properties, maybe its time to get shot of.

And surely all of this should be getting paid for by insurance companies, and not tax payers?

I see that our First Minister, Nicola Sturgeon, has confirmed that the Scottish Government will also provide support for the Glasgow School of Art, alongside the support offered by Theresa May, the Prime Minister of Great Britain and one of her other minister a man called David Mundell.

Wouldn't it be terrible if it had burned to the ground, we'd have to replace it with a horrible eyesore of a modern building?

Charles Rennie Mackintosh was able to create such influential designs that anyone in their right mind would want to ensure this fantastic building was saved. His skills in Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts design is recognised the world over and his legacy should be protected for the whole of Scotland.

In this instance, most of the repairs should be paid for by insurance companies, but as tax payers we must be prepared to assist if needed.

After being severely heated and rapidly cooled twice in four years there is every chance that the remaining fabric of the building will be compromised. Time to rebuild using the insurance money and private funding. It could be rebuilt in the style of Mackintosh but with 21st century building regulations, including sprinklers.
    It might be an iconic building, but it can be argued that there are dozens of iconic buildings across Scotland and the public purse cannot be responsible for them all. To pick out this one as 'special' smacks of elitism. If it's so special to the art community surely its members can dig deep into their pockets and contribute.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

It’s a matter for the insurers not the government.
    I don’t remember the public purse being opened when poor old dominoes burnt down.