Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Premier Inn

Default New Premier Inn

Just had a look at the plans for the proposed new Premier Inn for Thurso, didn't realise it was going to be so big.

I wonder if it will attract new visitors to Thurso or just take existing custom (and staff) and give the profit to Whitbread instead of local hotels/b & b's

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inn.jpg 
Views:	1683 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	33748

Lets have a little think. Oh yes, small hotels and B&B's lose staff, custom, profits, close. Whitbread profits grow. End of story!
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Any word on an accompanying restaurant and bar in the plans? I haven't heard anything mentioned but I've never seen a premier inn without one yet.

Quote Originally Posted by veekay View Post
    Oh yes, small hotels and B&B's lose staff, custom,...!
    Unless they successfully compete on price and service?

Assuming someone tells them what service is.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Just had a look at the plans for the proposed new Premier Inn for Thurso, didn't realise it was going to be so big.

I wonder if it will attract new visitors to Thurso or just take existing custom (and staff) and give the profit to Whitbread instead of local hotels/b & b's

Do you think anyone has ever visited anywhere based on the place having a premier inn???
    No me neither

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    Do you think anyone has ever visited anywhere based on the place having a premier inn???
    No me neither
    There's bound to be at least one nutter out there with a mission to visit every Premier Inn.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Money wouldn't be getting invested if there weren't a market for it. And all the extra jobs will be good for all the folk that say they cannot work because there are no jobs for them.

How many long term positions will be created by a budget hotel?

We have stayed at many Premier inns/Travel lodges on our journey north and they offer excellent value for money.....If you dont know an area very well and unsure about the local hotels etc with the premier Inns you know what you are getting.....
    If given permission Im certain this Inn will do very well as it might encourage visitors to stay who would otherwise pass through.

There has been a shortage of 'visitor beds' lately so surely this is a good thing and great to have new jobs created.
    I agree, we stay in Premier Inns as well and you do get a good service and a comfortable room etc with very helpful staff.

I have stayed in the one on Gatwick airport North a few times and they would be my default setting for any trip away that needed a stop over.
    A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears.

Quote Originally Posted by mi16 View Post
    How many long term positions will be created by a budget hotel?
    At a wild guess;

At least 6 x FTE for reception to cover days, nights, evenings and holidays / sickness
    At least 10 x FTE for servicing
    0.5 x FTE for maintenance

Plus support contracts - Grounds maintenance and the likes

Not including any associated pub / eatery.

Like most big businesses these days they'll all likely be part-time positions except for the management. Only way to keep costs low and profits fat
    y'know

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post

If these are the plans then there is someting wrong. The plans shows three stories for the Hotel, yet is is reported that the Hotel is planned for four Stories. Here is the Quote from the John O'Groats Journal :-

"The four-storey, 81-bedroom hotel will be situated on the former auction mart site at Ormlie Road."

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

https://wam.highland.gov.uk/wam/case...=P8XJ6QIHL1E00

Link to the documents section of Highland council if anyone want to read about what is proposed and see any objections

The part towards the college is that where they intent to put the filling station once hotel and restaurant up and running. Restaurant is on railway side but up college end of proposed building - if I am reading plans correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    If these are the plans then there is someting wrong. The plans shows three stories for the Hotel, yet is is reported that the Hotel is planned for four Stories. Here is the Quote from the John O'Groats Journal :-

"The four-storey, 81-bedroom hotel will be situated on the former auction mart site at Ormlie Road."
    It wouldn't be the first time the local paper is wrong.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

dont see any mention of a filling station in the plans, its not really the MO of a premier inn
    W.A.T.P.

mi16
    Agree with you it is not the normal for Premier Inn and I was surprised to read it somewhere on the plans - cannot seem to find it now but will check it out again later. Did read and check all the planning info and that was where I am sure I picked it up and was quite surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by pat View Post
    mi16
    Agree with you it is not the normal for Premier Inn and I was surprised to read it somewhere on the plans - cannot seem to find it now but will check it out again later. Did read and check all the planning info and that was where I am sure I picked it up and was quite surprised.
    The petrol station was in the History section of the site planning permissions, so related to one of the earlier applications, its not in the Premier Inn’s planning application that I can see

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast