Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are your favourite words?

Default What are your favourite words?

One of my new favourite words is 'delusionist'. I won't post a link to the Urban Dictionary because there's a lot of stuff on that site that would not be in line with Org rules. It's a lovely sounding word with many applications.
    Last edited by crayola; 08-Feb-14 at 14:27.

Delusionist: Someone who is a master of their own delusions to the point where they exist in the dual planes of true and false realities, often exhibiting extreme mood swings resulting from the conflicts of planar coexistence and living in an impenetrable state of constant denial. The delusionist often has a hard time interpreting non-verbal communication, and in some extreme cases, straight-forward verbal communication, when it contradicts their false reality. Along with their failure to take even the most obvious of hints, they often have a high opinion of themselves and are obsessed with keeping their ego over-inflated to compensate for their numerous inadequacies. In an effort to illustrate some degree of normalcy, and to offset his or her frequent visitations to the false reality when relating to a particular subject matter, the delusionist will have a tendency to point out and/or over-emphasize any incident or situation that is merely a mediocrity in the true reality.

Another of my favourite words is 'sugarbabe'. It applies to a number of my younger friends.

Plinth. A wonderful word.
    Working On Behalf Of The Community!

I have lots of words that I like and here are two of them :-

Arctophile

Supernacular

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I have two favourite words, one begins with F, the other ends with an F. :-)

Flummery and Pontiff?

Antidisestablishmentarianism‎ and Diarrhea

Twits I like that

Horse Power. Oh that's two. I also like Mopar and Edelbrock oh and Hemi.

"Specific"
    You get what you give

I like bestiality, flagellation and necrophilia.......but most of the time i feel like im flogging a dead horse!

The old favourites from school days are Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and Floccinaucinihilipilification (dunno if the spelling is right on those two lol)

Pillock and plonker are two occasionally used words along with the often used boll***s for when it's not worked as planned and ouchies for when something hurts lol
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather did......not screaming in terror like his passengers"

Snuggle...............family..........love ...........hugs....
    Least fave but most used ..stop that! that hurts ..no fighting..etc..
    And why...grrrh why....never ending question until I turn into my mother incase the final answer is because I say so!
    Life is too short to spend it in beige underwear!

Emancipate ..

....Wubble

Scunner, describes a lot

At last a Scots word. I like stramash, guddle and bisum. I also like antidisestablishmentarianism. My dad used to make me spell it as a child. I also like elliptical. I like the words because of how they feel in my mouth.

I like to osculate. But I'm very fussy.

up the road

Quote Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
    Plinth. A wonderful word.
    I got a room full of blank faces when I used that in an engineering meeting a few months ago. I had suggested fabricating a simple metal block to act as a plinth under something that was too low. You would think I had used some obscure term from classical architecture (my other pet hate about the otherwise excellent PD James).
    Last edited by George Brims; 12-Feb-14 at 23:07. Reason: Bad spelling
    I really hate being bipolar. It's awesome!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast