Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you help? Interviewees needed for a research project on the Flow Country

Default Can you help? Interviewees needed for a research project on the Flow Country

Hello everyone,

We are looking to interview a diverse range of people from community councils, tourism/hospitality, local businesses, farms etc. We are interested in what you think about the peatlands, whether you have a cultural or historical connection, and your thoughts on their future.

We will be travelling up between the 22nd and 27th of May (next week!) and can travel to meet anywhere convenient to you. The interview would take maximum one hour.

Thank you for your help!
    Isabella & Nora

Would you be bringing chocolate, do you think?

As a non Caithnessian, I won't meet your criteria for interviewing, but if its of interest, my own thoughts on peatland are that there is much too much focus on preservation. As a fuel, peat is a worthy one. But we are rapidly approaching a point where its commercial extraction will be banned. Then, rather than extract and use a fuel locally, we'll be pumping gas thousands of miles from Russia and coal from Poland. Folk say that peat grows at something like 1mm a year - Well, its still growing faster than its being cut on the hill here. But yet, thats too fast for some.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowCountry View Post
    Hello everyone,

We are looking to interview a diverse range of people from community councils, tourism/hospitality, local businesses, farms etc. We are interested in what you think about the peatlands, whether you have a cultural or historical connection, and your thoughts on their future.

We will be travelling up between the 22nd and 27th of May (next week!) and can travel to meet anywhere convenient to you. The interview would take maximum one hour.

Thank you for your help!
    Isabella & Nora
    Who are you?

They are Isabella and Nora. They’ve already told us.

But they didn’t tell us how much they will pay for an hour of our time.

If there's chocolate, I'll tell them all I know

Quote Originally Posted by FlowCountry View Post
    Hello everyone,<br>
    <br>
    We are looking to interview a diverse range of people from community councils, tourism/hospitality, local businesses, farms etc. We are interested in what you think about the peatlands, whether you have a cultural or historical connection, and your thoughts on their future.<br>
    <br>
    We will be travelling up between the 22nd and 27th of May (next week!) and can travel to meet anywhere convenient to you. The interview would take maximum one hour.<br>
    <br>
    Thank you for your help!<br>
    Isabella &amp; Nora
    <br
    private message sent to you

Quote Originally Posted by Bogbrush View Post
    If there's chocolate, I'll tell them all I know
    And I thought I was cheap!

Fine white wine does not come cheap unfortunately. Especially now that Wee Krankie has upped the price of it unfortunately.

Can you make your own hooch from peat?

Possibly, though it might lack enough fermentable sugars to get you anywhere, without adding a couple of hundredweight of Tate and Lyle. Possibly more useful as an adjunct. I guess you could make a beer from heather bloom, then chuck in some peat for that authentic "stuck in the peat hill" taste.

Maybe better then to bottle Flow Country water and market it as a laxative?

Possibly, though I think the John o' Groats brewery may have beaten you on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    Maybe better then to bottle Flow Country water and market it as a laxative?
    We could brand it Glen Buterol.

The JoG beers have attractive names. Are they good?
    Last edited by crayola; 19-May-18 at 11:51.

Like so many of these "craft breweries", they would do a lot better if they laid off the hops a bit. There seems to be an obsession to make the beers as bitter as possible, probably to try and mimic the stuff they make "dahn sarf". Makes them hard to drink without pulling a face like a bulldog licking p**s off a nettle.

Light hoppy beers I rather like. I don’t like heavy.

Light, unhoppy beers are even better. 'twas away back in the dawn of time when, someone fed up with their ale going off before they could quaff it, discovered that if you boiled hops and put it in the ale, you made beer and it kept better.

Back then, preservatives were kinda thin on the ground, and hops was the best there was. Nowadays, we have moved on a huge amount. So why are they still preserving ale with something that makes its taste like necking Toilet Duck? And why do they still call it ale, when its patently beer?

I like the citrusy hoppy flavours. Or girly beers as I’m informed by the self anointed experts who pass for the husbands of my coveners.

So did anyone speak with Isabella and Nora?

Quote Originally Posted by crayola View Post
    So did anyone speak with Isabella and Nora?
    No; they realised they didn't have enough chocolate and so gave up in despair and shame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast