Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: How do I get to Blackpool

Default How do I get to Blackpool

If I go by train and plane I don't get there till midnight and coming back I'd have to leave at 4 am.
    help. How do I get to Blackpool?
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

I just went down to Preston. Got the 7 am train from Thurso, went via Edinburgh down to Preston. Got to Preston at 1715 then a quick Google tells me there are frequent trains from Preston to Blackpool, and the journey takes less than 30 minutes. Returning I get the 0941 train from Preston to Glasgow, megabus from Glasgow to Inverness and then the last train up. But you can also get trains to connect Glasgow to Inverness or come back via Edinburgh. I didn't check the trains from Blackpool to Preston but would assume they are also frequent earlier in the day. Hope this helps.

If it was me I would drive down to Blackpool, not counting for stops it takes about 8 Hours to get there. Travel down overnight with 2 driving and you do not lose a day either.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Good grief, that’s a long drive to do in one shot. And overnight too. Would you really do that yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    If it was me I would drive down to Blackpool, not counting for stops it takes about 8 Hours to get there.
    On one of Crayola's broomsticks maybe!

Oi! My broomsticks are supersonic.

Doing the drive in eight hours sounded a challenge to me too. Even without stopping.

I said in my post with 2 Driving which is only 4 hours driving each. I have in my time driven a lot longer than that in one go. Once I had to drive from Tamworth, (just outside Biringham), up to Thurso by myself.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I too have driven a lot longer than that in one go. But I think with the advent of average speed cameras on the A9, not to mention roadworks, 8 hours from Caithness to Blackpool is a fairly tall order.

That was my point. Apparently I wasn’t clear.

My guess would be closer to 9 hours.

Thurso to Blackpool is 458 miles distant. Divide 458 miles by 8 = 57 MPH. Quite a bit of the Journey is Dual Carriageway and is a 70 MPH Speed Limit. It is quite possible to drive from Thurso to Blackpool in 8 Hours, Driving time. This is not counting for stops for food ect. With two people Driving it is not too tiring either. I also said Travel down overnight and this way you can take your time and aim to arrive at 8 am for the first day of your Break/Holiday. If then leave Thurso about 10pm then you would plenty of time to drive down to Blackpool stopping every now and then, to arrive in Blackpool at around 8am.

This easily done as I have done this several times over the past 35 years. With two people driving to can take it in turns to drive and the non driver can get a snooze in the car. This way you arrive not exactly fresh but not shattered either but ready to start your Break/Holiday.

I my original post I said "If it was me" in other words what I would do, I did not say it was the best way but my way. It does not really matter if it takes 8 or 9 Hours Driving as it will be dependant on individual driving styles. The point is you travel Overnight so that you can arrive in Blackpool at a time that suites you. Also you then can come on home at your leisure as you do not have to stick to a Train or Bus Time Table.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 08-May-18 at 11:13.

Edgar Allen Poe

I concur that it is more than possible to do it in 8 hours, even less, and with the average speed cameras. I used to drive Wick to Manchester and back again overnight every couple of weeks for many months and apart from a fuel stop and a wee, all was fine. You have to remember that once you hit Perth it is dual carriageway or motorway all the way, it isn't like you are driving on country roads. I would never dream of doing it by train (takes 4 hours just to get to Inverness) and the bus just makes me ill.

Two drivers doing it in 8 hours overnight would be ok.

But during the day? I doubt it. Better by far to take the broom.

So Fran did you find your way to Blackpool in 8 hours? I thought of this thread as I drove slowly past the Blackpool junction on the M6 on bank holiday Monday. Eight hours? Ha ha ha!

Brooms are the way forwards sisters.

Thank you all for your help. I got two planes, two trains and a taxi.
    coming back was a nightmare as there were no trains from Blackpool.
    would never do it again!!
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Shoulda gone by broom.....