Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Won't post to Highlands from Hong Kong but Aberdeenshire is fine!

Default Won't post to Highlands from Hong Kong but Aberdeenshire is fine!

I have been trying to purchase from EBAY and have been refused because of my postcode - four times! This happens so frequently that I am puzzled as to the reason. When walking into a post office in Hong Kong are you given two different prices depending on whether it is Aberdeenshire or Caithness?

What is the reason for this outrageous discrimination?

The Post Office is quite good at getting things to their desired destination, even with an incorrect postcode. Why not try giving the correct address but with an Aberdeenshire postcode.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

The "Post Office" do Not Deliver mail here in the UK. It is "Royal Mail" that delivers Mail and any cudos should go to Royal Mail.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishWalrus View Post
    I have been trying to purchase from EBAY and have been refused because of my postcode - four times! This happens so frequently that I am puzzled as to the reason. When walking into a post office in Hong Kong are you given two different prices depending on whether it is Aberdeenshire or Caithness?

I know how you feel, I too want to make purchases from Ebay but alas! they class my postcode as of being on an Island! totally unfair I think.

Does the "Royal Mail" charge foreign post differently dependent on location in the UK? (In their reciprocal agreement?)

No Royal Mail do not charge extra for different locations. They only go by weight and size of the Parcel so it costs the same to poat a parcel 3 streets away as it would to a Destination at the other end of the UK or Islands including Jersey.

The only section of Royal Mail that does have ZONES is ParcelForce. Although they go under the Umbrella of Royal Mail thay are actually a Seperate Company with all own their Rules, Terms and Conditions.

If I send a Parcel to anywhere in the UK I always demand that it is sent by First Class Royal Mail, this then ensures that it is delivered next day. If sent by Parcelforce it can take up to a week to be delivered. They are usually cheaper than Royal Mail but not as efficient.

Over the years I have bought quite a number of Items both from China and Hong Kong and I have found that the postage from there is usually cheaper than it would cost to send to China or Hong Kong. Also I have never been charged any extra for an Item to be delivered to Caithness.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

New one here...

Tried ordering an item from London, went through the process, placed the order, got the confirmation email, thought "All Good"

A wee while later...

The seller cancelled your order.

Please read before placing order

We don't deliver the following places,

The Highlands and Islands of Scotland- postcodes CA1-28, EH1-55, AB10-99, GY, IV, EX, DH, TS, DN, HS, KA27-28,
    KW, PA20-49, PA60-78, PH17-26, PH30-44, PH49-50, ZE, EX, DD, ML, CF, BB, AB, BT, DG, EH, FK, GY, IV, KA, KW, KX, ML, PA, TD, PH, JE, Northern ireland, Isle of Man and Isles of scilly-
    Sent them a message...

WTF....

Why did you cancel my order?

You said you don't post to my postcode (though no mention of that in the listing).
    You say you post Royal Mail 1st Class, so no surcharge for posting to my location.

So... What is the problem?

Their reply...

Please check in description your area we do not cover
    Sorry

My reply...
    I'm not disputing that...
    I'm asking why not?
    The method to post to me is exactly the same as anywhere else & also costs exactly the same as everywhere else so there is no logical explanation as to why you wouldn't.
    So please help me understand & explain why.
    Still waiting for a reply
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Should have threatened them with the old discrimination trick. I had that a while back with an Ebay seller who cancelled my order saying they don't deliver to the Scottish Hihglands and when asked why not, they said it was too expensive to send it freepost as per listing. I replied saying the same as Alrock but added that i would aslo contact Ebay and ask them to start an investigation into the racist discrimination because i am Scottish. Parcel arrived the next day and they didn't ask for me to repay it!

Not only companies from south of the border. Tried to buy from a company in Glasgow on fleaay and they won't post to the Higlands.

Quote Originally Posted by drmopp View Post
    Not only companies from south of the border. Tried to buy from a company in Glasgow on fleaay and they won't post to the Higlands.
    A lot of Scottish companies that give you free postage have their costs fixed on Fleabay, if they have to send it freepost up to the highlands by the same courier it will cost them more so they won't sell to anyone up here. You could ask them to send it with Royal Mail but if they won't then that's their loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishWalrus View Post

Just had to pay a £25.00 postage surcharge for an item from Hamburg! Does it really cost them any more to post to Caithness rather than say Glasgow, Edinburgh or Aberdeen? 😡

Quote Originally Posted by Alrock View Post
    New one here...

Tried ordering an item from London, went through the process, placed the order, got the confirmation email, thought "All Good"

A wee while later...

The seller cancelled your order.

Please read before placing order

We don't deliver the following places,

The Highlands and Islands of Scotland- postcodes CA1-28, EH1-55, AB10-99, GY, IV, EX, DH, TS, DN, HS, KA27-28,
    KW, PA20-49, PA60-78, PH17-26, PH30-44, PH49-50, ZE, EX, DD, ML, CF, BB, AB, BT, DG, EH, FK, GY, IV, KA, KW, KX, ML, PA, TD, PH, JE, Northern ireland, Isle of Man and Isles of scilly-

Sent them a message...

WTF....

Why did you cancel my order?

You said you don't post to my postcode (though no mention of that in the listing).
    You say you post Royal Mail 1st Class, so no surcharge for posting to my location.

So... What is the problem?

Their reply...

Please check in description your area we do not cover
    Sorry

My reply...
    I'm not disputing that...
    I'm asking why not?
    The method to post to me is exactly the same as anywhere else & also costs exactly the same as everywhere else so there is no logical explanation as to why you wouldn't.
    So please help me understand & explain why.

Still waiting for a reply
    One reason could be this :-

Royal Mail deliver all over the UK for the same price and as such they do not have a Map showing their Prices.

Now Parcelforce do have a MAP and they show the different regions and the different Costs. So if a company states they post by Royal Mail but use Parcelforce, (parcelforce are cheaper than royal mail), technically they are correct as they are all in the same company but Parcelforce have completely Different Terms and Conditions which allow them to charge extra for certain Regions. Highlands and Islands are in the most expensive Region that Parcelforce deliver to where Royal Mail do NOT charge any extra at all.

Even if the Company do use Royal Mail they go by the Map and Postcodes that Parcelforce use which states that it costs extra to deliver the Highlands and Islands, so they then refuse to deliver up here. If they use Parcelforce it will cost them extra so they refuse to deliver up here.

It is a real Catch 22 situation as no one in Englandshire will believe that royal Mail will deliver up here for No extra charge.

What I do is go to another company who will deliver for free, like Amazon.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 23-Nov-18 at 21:22.

Edgar Allen Poe