Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Fly tipping

Default Fly tipping

On the road that runs from Lyth to Gills some waste of space has dumped, in several laybys, Tyres, Flat Screen TV, & assorted rubbish, any chance you could pick it up & take it to the tip, which costs you nothing& if anyone stops you, you could say you are taking it to the tip out of the goodness of yor heart, if you have one, that is

I once popped in past the recycling centre at Wick with a half a black bag of rubbish from the house. Didn't want to leave it in the house whilst I was away for a couple of weeks. Wick recycling centre was the first open one on the road south. The jobsworth in there was such that I ended up not bothering. Found another way to deal with it, and no, fly tipping was not it. But if you have staff like you do at the Wick recycling centre, then its no wonder some others are driven to fly tipping. They should be encouraging folk to bring them their recycling, not discouraging them at every opportunity possible. Regrettably, I can only see fly tipping increasing as centres make recycling less and less welcome.

Fly-tipping is a problem in many parts of Britain. There is a National Fly-tipping Prevention Group, on its website it says:

"Land managers, occupiers or owners of private property are responsible for clearing and disposing of any fly-tipping found on private land. Local councils will not normally clear rubbish dumped on private land free of charge but they may investigate such incidents and where appropriate take enforcement action":

http://www.tacklingflytipping.com/Do...Landowners.pdf

So not only does the person who's land is fly-tipped on have an eyesore, they also have top pay to get the waste taken away. Which in some cases has been very expensive. Some people blame the landfill tax.

I can honestly say that the staff at the Thurso Recycling Centre are more than helpful. They are open 7 days a week and nothing seems too much trouble for them. Two years ago moved house and after 25 years of collecting stuff we had well over 40 Black Bags full of stuff to trow away. We took them arond to the Recyclimg Centre bit by bit and the staff were happy to advise us where the correct skips the stuff should go in. They also helped me with the heavy stuff that I was unable to by myself.

I have since used this facility on and off over the past two years and I have found them nothing but friendly.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

I agree with Kodiak, Thurso recycling centre staff are very helpful.

As well as our own recycling we tell neighbours when we are going and they give us stuff to take which would otherwise lie in their gardens or the carpark as an eyesore. We have never had any problem with staff over the eclectic mix of items we sometimes have.

Wick on the other hand was a nightmare when my friend was moving house, and we ended up taking her recycling to Thurso!
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    I agree with Kodiak, Thurso recycling centre staff are very helpful.

As well as our own recycling we tell neighbours when we are going and they give us stuff to take which would otherwise lie in their gardens or the carpark as an eyesore. We have never had any problem with staff over the eclectic mix of items we sometimes have.

Wick on the other hand was a nightmare when my friend was moving house, and we ended up taking her recycling to Thurso!
    Never had a problem at Wick R.C. having used it for over 5 years.