Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst place to live ?

Default Worst place to live ?

Headlines on the P&J today that Caithness is the most unhealthy place to live in SCOTLAND, regarding Strokes, Heart problems , Diabetis,And numerous other illnessies etc,etc...What i would have liked to see was the reasons WHY ????

Maybe the average ago of the population in Caithness has some bearing and having lived in a few parts of the UK in the past, I must say I have noticed a far higher number of smokers in Caithness compared to anywhere else I've been.

Does it say how many people with the different illnesses were actually born and raised in Caithness?

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Maybe the average ago of the population in Caithness has some bearing and having lived in a few parts of the UK in the past, I must say I have noticed a far higher number of smokers in Caithness compared to anywhere else I've been.
    You obviously havent been to Glasgow recently

Quote Originally Posted by neilsermk1 View Post
    You obviously havent been to Glasgow recently
    If i was stating a fact about Glasgow , i would not be mentioning Caithness, i could not give a jot about Glasgow, or anywere else , i am stating what it says front page of the P&J.

I do not think age has anything to do with it, its a stated fact and these illnesses can hit any age, smokers of coarse are their own worst enemies, the same as half at least of caithness being over weight and unfit, including children

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    Does it say how many people with the different illnesses were actually born and raised in Caithness?
    no it does not, and again does that really matter , the fact is caithness is a very unhealthy area according to the NHS report

It's not Caithness that is unhealthy. It's the lifestyle of the people that is unhealthy.

You can't arrive in Caithness and "Catch" unhealthiness. It's not the "Worst Place To Live".

If you bring a healthy lifestyle with you, you will be fine. If you are eating away food most nights of the week and curling up on the couch with lager, wine and crisps five nights a week and not getting any physical exercise, it's likely that the sedentary lifestyle will lead to problems.

The number of Taxis I see being summoned to collect takeaway food during any given day of the week is astonishing and drivers report that some people seem to eat that way most days of the week.

A look round any supermarket will see aisles packed to the rafters with sugar and fat laden products. These foods are as addictive as cocaine.

If you think that's nonsense, here is a brief extract from scientific study on the matter:-

In l994, Nobel et al at UCLA discovered that some obese adults who were “bingeing on dense carbohydrates” and who were neither alcoholic nor drug addicted had the same D2 dopamine gene marker that distinguished alcoholism and other drug addictions. In the following years, Hoebel et al at Princeton reviewed 251 animal studies designed to mimic human ingestion of sugar and found positive indication of physical craving. More recently, Ahmed’s research in France showed that intense sweetness – not just refined sugar, but also artificial sweeteners – surpasses cocaine as a reward in laboratory animals.

We are consumers and companies want us to consume ever more. It's easy to fall into the trap of eating unhealthy foods that the body physically craves.

Back in the 1980's I drank so much full fat Coca-Cola that I used to get a physical withdrawal at the end of a back-shift at Dounreay, one that could only be remedied by two swiftly consumed cans fresh from the fridge. I only very rarely drink diet cola now.

With all this going on - why does Councillor Karl Rosie support the plan to replace the free tennis courts and playpark at Olrig Street with a new car park ?

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    With all this going on - why does Councillor Karl Rosie support the plan to replace the free tennis courts and playpark at Olrig Street with a new car park ?
    All the obese, alcoholic, fag-smoking tennis players will have nowhere to play!

Link to the original P&J news story:

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp...s-in-scotland/

Quote Originally Posted by JANJO View Post
    no it does not, and again does that really matter , the fact is caithness is a very unhealthy area according to the NHS report
    It does really matter because if it is all due to unhealthy incomers to the area then they are the reason Caithness is being given the label of the unhealthiest place to live in. IF they were removed from the survey then you would see the true picture of the health status of people native to the area and if unhealthy still then the label fits but if not and natives to the area are fitter then why publish the story in the first place. If all the sick people from up here moved to Moray, would they label Moray as the unhealthiest place to live?

It does really matter because if it is all due to unhealthy incomers to the area then they are the reason Caithness is being given the label of the unhealthiest place to live in. IF they were removed from the survey then you would see the true picture of the health status of people native to the area and if unhealthy still then the label fits but if not and natives to the area are fitter then why publish the story in the first place. If all the sick people from up here moved to Moray, would they label Moray as the unhealthiest place to live?
    I am one of your "incomers" before I moved here I was healthy. Since 2009 the healthcare I have received here has gone downhill rapidy. I had an autoimmune illness which required no medication at all. Because of mismanagement by the GP's (in more than one surgery) which included missing the fact I had a problem with my heart for three years, I now have to take 5 different tablets daily. I know I have a blockage in a valve in my heart because they put a camera via my wrist to check to see what the problem was. That was 2014, I then got a letter a year from the Cardiologist saying they were too busy to see me, if I had any problems, ring them. The last time I saw or spoke to my Gastroenterologist was in 2016 because NHS Highland came up with this ingenious plan -

NHS Near Me is about delivering services to patients wherever they want to be. The new #NHSH service will give patients the option of having their hospital appointment via telephone or video consultation from the comfort of their own home or local healthcare facility rather than having to travel to see a consultant.

Translated, they forget about you.

You can blame us (Incomers) for a lot of things which are or are not our fault, but NHS Highland has nothing to do with us. So I am not surprised at all Caithness has been given the label of the unhealthiest place to live.

No person in his/her right mind would move to Caithness if they had an existing health problem. we all know you have to travel to Inverness or Aberdeen for hospital treatment, so i think you can discount the 'incomer' theory. most incomers are relatively wealthy and have worked hard and tend to look after themselves, so again I would dispute the assumption that incomers may have caused the poor figures, more likely they have made the 'indigenous' population seem healthier than they are.

No person in his/her right mind would move to Caithness if they had an existing health problem. we all know you have to travel to Inverness or Aberdeen for hospital treatment, so i think you can discount the 'incomer' theory. most incomers are relatively wealthy and have worked hard and tend to look after themselves, so again I would dispute the assumption that incomers may have caused the poor figures, more likely they have made the 'indigenous' population seem healthier than they are.
    You are right, before I agreed to move here (because of my husband's job at the time) I made sure there was a relevant Consultant available at Caithness General. I never dreamed how bad it would get when he left. If I had to make the decision now, no way. I am just so thankful I had my children years ago, I cannot imagine what those poor mother's to be go through here.

i love caithness,and i think is is healthy enough im forever seeing walkers, joggers,all ages there are ample places to go,the beautiful beaches for fresh clean air,the surrounding areas for green open fields,walk about breathe in the beauty of the highlands,its healthy enough if people would only go out and about.

We moved up here almost six years ago from Lancashire.
    Our first trip to Tesco was an eye opener. We were shocked to see so many very overweight people. A person that big in Lancashire stands out like a sore thumb but up here they don't as there's a lot of them. No idea if local or not but that's not really the point.
    There's lots of open space up here but getting to it without transport isn't easy. No pavements on most roads and verges not being cut will not help the situation. Going for a walk is free but the fast traffic is off putting.
    Education is key. It is really sad to see fat children, I feel for them. Tax on sweets and spend it on play parks. And have them walk to school. Also try to help them to learn to cook. It's a basic life skill that is being lost all over the UK sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by cptdodger View Post
    I am one of your "incomers" before I moved here I was healthy. Since 2009 the healthcare I have received here has gone downhill rapidy. I had an autoimmune illness which required no medication at all. Because of mismanagement by the GP's (in more than one surgery) which included missing the fact I had a problem with my heart for three years, I now have to take 5 different tablets daily. I know I have a blockage in a valve in my heart because they put a camera via my wrist to check to see what the problem was. That was 2014, I then got a letter a year from the Cardiologist saying they were too busy to see me, if I had any problems, ring them. The last time I saw or spoke to my Gastroenterologist was in 2016 because NHS Highland came up with this ingenious plan -

NHS Near Me is about delivering services to patients wherever they want to be. The new #NHSH service will give patients the option of having their hospital appointment via telephone or video consultation from the comfort of their own home or local healthcare facility rather than having to travel to see a consultant.

Translated, they forget about you.

You can blame us (Incomers) for a lot of things which are or are not our fault, but NHS Highland has nothing to do with us. So I am not surprised at all Caithness has been given the label of the unhealthiest place to live.
    I totally agree with what you are saying, It has nothing to do with incomers, it is a fact being stated, and i would like to know the reason why it is as bad as they say, has Dounray anything to do with it, are we all breathing in some unknown poison???

Quote Originally Posted by reddevil View Post
    i love caithness,and i think is is healthy enough im forever seeing walkers, joggers,all ages there are ample places to go,the beautiful beaches for fresh clean air,the surrounding areas for green open fields,walk about breathe in the beauty of the highlands,its healthy enough if people would only go out and about.
    lot of people who enjoy all that you are stating are still getting caught out with all the mensioned health problems, and believe me, you can not judge a book by its cover regarding fitness
    A

Quote Originally Posted by Southern-Gal View Post
    We moved up here almost six years ago from Lancashire.
    Our first trip to Tesco was an eye opener. We were shocked to see so many very overweight people. A person that big in Lancashire stands out like a sore thumb but up here they don't as there's a lot of them. No idea if local or not but that's not really the point.
    There's lots of open space up here but getting to it without transport isn't easy. No pavements on most roads and verges not being cut will not help the situation. Going for a walk is free but the fast traffic is off putting.
    Education is key. It is really sad to see fat children, I feel for them. Tax on sweets and spend it on play parks. And have them walk to school. Also try to help them to learn to cook. It's a basic life skill that is being lost all over the UK sadly.
    agree with what you say, and its not only people that you see on the streets, its also half the NHS staff as well.
    I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast