Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrock exchange broadband

Default Barrock exchange broadband

Just wondering if anyone whose phone line goes through the Barrock exchange has experienced regular broadband outages over the past two weeks. My provider says Openreach keep turning it off whilst working on upgrading, has anybody else heard this?

Hi Gary mine has been out nearly every night for the past two weeks. I am not sure how it works because my neighbours still had internet.
    HEADWARK

We are the same most nights about 9pm we lose the internet PlusNet are looking into it

Call me cynical but it seems to be switched off when it's too late to get any help from customer services. My provider, SSE, is due to call with an update tonight but even if it's Openreach causing the problem we're still not getting the service we're paying for so I'll be demanding a refund for each day it's gone off.

Quote Originally Posted by garycs View Post
    Call me cynical but it seems to be switched off when it's too late to get any help from customer services. My provider, SSE, is due to call with an update tonight but even if it's Openreach causing the problem we're still not getting the service we're paying for so I'll be demanding a refund for each day it's gone off.
    I was with SSE/BT but I've just put a cease order though. I've put up with this substandard service for 10 years or so. At one time it was better by far than what is served up just now. The guys at SSE have done their best, but, they are limited as they are a retailer only and it is only they with whom I have a contract with. i.e. BT/OpenReach dont give a fig. On wards and upwards. I've been trialling mobile internet and found that I get more work done in the same amount of time because I'm not waiting for slow data transfer, and on the mobile the call quality is dam near HiFi, let alone WiFi.
    Last edited by johndh; 23-Mar-18 at 19:05. Reason: Terrible spelling. 6/10 only

I am on Barrock exchange and have had no problems.

I am on Barrock exchanged and have problems all the time. Very slow (I can't call it speed), drops out, just silly. I was told that it is because they are working on superfast stuff and that when this happens we can expect a drop in speed of about 0.5 whatevertheyares. Which is great as I only get 0.8 whatevertheyares at the very best of times - down hill with the wind behind them.
    Two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the Universe.

Einstein

Over at Greenland we were getting 22mbps nine years ago. Now its 1 to 2 mbps.

Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Yes I've been having problems with my broadband in the past two weeks also. Had no connection for 3 days, then it went off at 7pm one night for 4 hours and another night went off at 10pm and didn't come on til next morning. Causes much disruption. When are we supposed to be getting the super fast fibre broadband that we've all been promised in rural areas??

The past few nights I have lost my internet again this has been going on for weeks. Now today it is working so slow it is worse than it was 20 years ago.I have tried letting EE know but they have done nothing .
    HEADWARK

Lots of interesting information dx100uk and all pointless for me at any rate. Apparently they are in my area but upgrading is proving challenging and it is unlikely that any upgrade will be within the next 12 months. Having been told something similar by so many for so long I am guessing hell will freeze over before anything happens at cabinet 2 Barrock exchange

Not on Barrock exchange but a neighboring one. Just of phone with our provider and in their words " Problem is with older exchanges and congestion". In other words exchange does not have capacity for current demand. Answer use at times of less demand or ? wait for fibre.

When i lived in a small rural village a few years ago, i got the same response from BT, citing that it was an old exchange and not enough capacity so often overloaded. I hit them with the "that may be but you still charge me for a normal service and charge the same price as everyone else pays so why aren't you providing me with the same service. There is no excuse for it, they are taking the money and providing an inferior service. I ended up with free line rental for seven months. Still wasn't a great solution but at least i didn't have to pay for the poor service. They were quick to hike the price though when it was upgraded, tried charging me a week early too but wasn't having any of that and told them on the phone. I was so glad to be shot of BT, never again will i use them as a telephone/internet provider

Quote Originally Posted by veekay View Post
    Lots of interesting information dx100uk and all pointless for me at any rate. Apparently they are in my area but upgrading is proving challenging and it is unlikely that any upgrade will be within the next 12 months. Having been told something similar by so many for so long I am guessing hell will freeze over before anything happens at cabinet 2 Barrock exchange
    Cabinets 1 and 3 are live. Two additional cabinets are built and going through the process. Some additional coverage is in planning.

about 3 weeks I'm told

dx

Still won't be holding my breath. There are problems with the line to the property that they won't rectify because it would cost too much. I think I will just have to learn how to use smoke signals!

how far are you from cabinet 2 and is it over ground lines?

what are the issues with the line?

Off Topic

dx100uk, do you or anyone else, have any experience of mimo antenna. I have a Nighthawk M1 router and get 4G+ with one or two signal bars. Could do with a little lift, and I also want to use the router when out and about in the caravan.

Follow up from my post earlier. I've jumped in with both feet, put a cease on my BT line and gone fully mobile. I'm very happy so far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mput.jpg 
Views:	546 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	33528

Thanks folks ;-)

About six miles from the exchange dx100uk and the line is underground. As to what the problems are with our line depends on who is telling us, the most often told problem (6 out of about 14 ) is that it is over half a mile long and made up of a mixture if cables - copper and aluminium - plus the fact that there is only us. See what i mean

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast