Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: James Banks/Stroma/Canisby

Default James Banks/Stroma/Canisby

Researching my daughters orcadian side of the family- i have a James Banks married to a Mary Laird in Burray,South Ronaldsay c1836/7.I have discovered subsequently that James Banks was born in Stroma in 1814 to Donald Banks and Jane Laird.I believe this come under Cannisby? I still can't find a record of James and Mary's marriage though i'm certain they were married .Mary's death certificate doesn't make it clear if her husband predeceased her or not so i can't check that route either.I just want to be certain of my facts before i go any further. Hope someone can clear up the mystery as it's becoming a bit of an obsession!

SoRon Guest

Default BANKS LAIRD MATCHES

Fiona -

Your James BANKS remarried after Mary Laird's death, to Janet/Jessie MATCHES of So Ronaldsay. Jessie was a daughter of John MATCHES & his wife, Margaret BUDGE of South Ronaldsay. Margaret BUDGE was the older sister of my ggg-granddad, William BUDGE, who ended up marrying John MATCHES' younger sister, Barbara MATCHES [also on South Ronaldsay].

Please email me for a bit more data, but the person you should probably email directly is a Marion McLeod - have you interacted with her? She has tons of data in regards to your family lines of interest.

- SoRon
    www. southronaldsay.net