Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Insulation scam?

Default Insulation scam?

Is this another scam or genuine?

Yesterday afternoon my son (17) answered the door - according to his description it was a woman in her 40's with blond dyed hair and fake tan asking to check our insulation. She was wearing a badge but he did not read what was on it. He told her his dad was away and she replied she'd come back another day.
    I was upstairs (in bed due to illness) hearing this but went downstairs when she left - the car she was driving was a silver or grey smaller type car, possibly a Renault, VW Golf or a Suzuki - the car was too far away for me get a reg no.

If I had answered the door I would not have let her in anyway as I read somewhere about someone else had a man visit and he let them in to check the insulation and it wasn't legit.

We're on a farm not far from Wick. Any one else get a visit like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Ballymore View Post
    Is this another scam or genuine?

Yesterday afternoon my son (17) answered the door - according to his description it was a woman in her 40's with blond dyed hair and fake tan asking to check our insulation. She was wearing a badge but he did not read what was on it. He told her his dad was away and she replied she'd come back another day.
    I was upstairs (in bed due to illness) hearing this but went downstairs when she left - the car she was driving was a silver or grey smaller type car, possibly a Renault, VW Golf or a Suzuki - the car was too far away for me get a reg no.

If I had answered the door I would not have let her in anyway as I read somewhere about someone else had a man visit and he let them in to check the insulation and it wasn't legit.

We're on a farm not far from Wick. Any one else get a visit like this?
    my god ,what's happening in Caithness right now . A friend got his cavity wall insulation done a couple of years back ,he got all the insulation check before getting the EPC done and low and behold the cavity insulation is missing . The Dingwall company charged for it but never put any in, they just drilled the holes and filled the two inspection holes to give the appearance that the cavity was filled . Bunch of crooks.

That's awful dozy! Hope they got the Dingwall company named and shamed. I wonder how much government funding is being scammed away by all these insulation and heating incentives?

call the police 101
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Quote Originally Posted by dx100uk View Post
    call the police 101
    been told " it's not a police matter" . Makes you think ,how many others have been duped and at what cost to the taxpayer. To get the cavity inspected and get a report is £600 plus vat and that's just the start. The house has just got a new coat of rough casting ,so that's now wasted as with new insulation they will drill holes all over it . It's a £2000 plus mistake or con depending on how you look at it . There a double whammy as the £180 a year energy saving by having it done is also lost. Happy 2018. Keep smiling

well actionfraud website then
    its a very well known scam across the country
    Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Quote Originally Posted by dozy View Post
    been told " it's not a police matter" . Makes you think ,how many others have been duped and at what cost to the taxpayer. To get the cavity inspected and get a report is £600 plus vat and that's just the start. The house has just got a new coat of rough casting ,so that's now wasted as with new insulation they will drill holes all over it . It's a £2000 plus mistake or con depending on how you look at it . There a double whammy as the £180 a year energy saving by having it done is also lost. Happy 2018. Keep smiling
    I think I would be reporting it to Trading Standards as a first stop, as well as action fraud. I am not sure if your insurer would cover any of this.

After those options it is a very simple application to the small claims court to get your money back.

Default Insulation Scam

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dennis View Post
    I think I would be reporting it to Trading Standards as a first stop, as well as action fraud. I am not sure if your insurer would cover any of this.

After those options it is a very simple application to the small claims court to get your money back.

But only if the company is still trading.