Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Help in identifying a Bird.

Angry Help in identifying a Bird.

I was just Looking at our Bird feeder today, and the most amazing coloured Bird landed for a feed!!! can anyone help with identifying it??? it's got us beat.
    It's slightly smaller than a blackbird, it's got black wings and head, it has a bright yellow body and six white flashes on each wing...i've got a couple of Photos if anyone thinks they might be able to help.

photos always help

karia Guest

Hi Bluezulu, I think it may have been a grey wagtail. Fits the description.

Karia

Photos would be great as It sounds as if it may be the rarity that is about.

Grey Wagtail fits the description, but is very unlikely to be at a feeder.

Is it a Orangy/Yellow?
    Away with the birds

a little unlikely maybe but they have been spotted in Scotland occasionally would be a masked shrike.

Sounds quite a lot like a swallow too, possibly a barn swallow.

Photos would be really helpful if you can post them either here or somewhere like photobucket and paste a link

karia Guest

we should have identified the species earlier..

....it's the 'wind up' bird !

Karia

I have seen the photos and the bird was a very Rare visitor from America. It was a Baltimore Oriole, and I wished I had got to see it. Thankyou Bluezulu for the photos, what a beauty. I had quite a few people keen to see if it was still around, and they would have travelled quite a distance up here to see it.

I think it has been one of the rariest birds in Caithness for a while.

Thanks again. Post the potots on here if you can.
    Away with the birds

karia Guest

sincere apologies, having waited...then pm'd the OP, I thought someone was taking the !!!!!!!

Happy to be wrong,...post your pics, tell us where you are!?

karia

Your lucky, they have been spotted once or twice in the UK but not often. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluezulu View Post
    I was just Looking at our Bird feeder today, and the most amazing coloured Bird landed for a feed!!! can anyone help with identifying it??? it's got us beat.
    It's slightly smaller than a blackbird, it's got black wings and head, it has a bright yellow body and six white flashes on each wing...i've got a couple of Photos if anyone thinks they might be able to help.
    It would have to be quite small, but we have some siskins about just now. They look very yellow, and have some black markings