Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: McBeaths of Reay, and clockmakers

Default McBeaths of Reay, and clockmakers

I am delighted to find I have a greatx4 grandfather from Reay by the name of Donald McBeath, born 1775, whose later went to Glasgow and set up as a renowned watch and clockmaker, his younger son John Walker McBeth (by now) taking over the business in Gallowgate while his older son William McBeth, my greatx3 grandfather, went as a clockmaker to Carlisle.
    I would like to find out more about the Reay story - I only know the Reay connection from one mention in a census.
    There is a Henry McBeath of about the same age who had a 2.5 acre croft at Reay, and stayed, who might be a brother but I can't connect him.
    4 McBeaths on the Thurso war memorial. Connected?
    And how did Donald make the transition from rural life to a trade as a watch and clockmaker? There was a Manson watch and clockmaker in Thurso. I don't know dates but he might have been an apprentice there.
    Any help would be gratefully received!

Default Manson Watchmaker

Quote Originally Posted by caegillies View Post
    I am delighted to find I have a greatx4 grandfather from Reay by the name of Donald McBeath, born 1775, whose later went to Glasgow and set up as a renowned watch and clockmaker, his younger son John Walker McBeth (by now) taking over the business in Gallowgate while his older son William McBeth, my greatx3 grandfather, went as a clockmaker to Carlisle.
    I would like to find out more about the Reay story - I only know the Reay connection from one mention in a census.
    There is a Henry McBeath of about the same age who had a 2.5 acre croft at Reay, and stayed, who might be a brother but I can't connect him.
    4 McBeaths on the Thurso war memorial. Connected?
    And how did Donald make the transition from rural life to a trade as a watch and clockmaker? There was a Manson watch and clockmaker in Thurso. I don't know dates but he might have been an apprentice there.
    Any help would be gratefully received!
    I have a copy of Clock & Watchmakers of the Scottish Highlands & Islands 1780-1900 compiled by Donald Whyte in front of me.
    I think the person you are referring to is Alexander MANSON, Clock & Watchmaker, Duke Street, Thurso in 1837.

Thankyou - that's a great start!