Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Computer Assistance

Default Computer Assistance

Does anyone know is there anyone in Caithness that can help with Dell Problems.

What kind of problems are you having? Theres Computafix 01847 821440

The computer will not open the connection to the monitor on checking the Dell web site and going via their tech problems it brings up a fault on the abcd lights 2 yellow 2 green.

Hi Countryman

If you provide the Dell system model name & number (i.e. Dimension 5150) and the diagnostic light colours (ABCD = Y Y G G) then I can give you a better idea of the nature of the problem, along with possible solution(s). However, based on your post I'm going to guess that the graphics card has slid out of it's slot a little.

Bob
    Last edited by Bobinovich; 28-May-07 at 21:10.

Default omputer Assistance

Hi Bob

Dimension 8400
    Microsoft XP
    Lights ABCD = YYGG

Countryman

Well according to the Dell website it is a problem with the memory modules so the first thing to do is to reseat them.

Ensure the system is switched off but leave the power plug in - this way, when you open the system up, you can ground yourself against the metal chassis of the case to remove any static electricity in your body.

To open the case you need to press the buttons on both the top and bottom of the unit, at which point you can swing the two halves open (like a book) to expose the interior. At this point touch some of the bare metal of the case to earth yourself.

Now look down onto the main board and, between the green plastic heatsink cover and the thin ribbon cable connectors, you'll see the 4 memory slots, 2 of which should have the slim memory modules installed. Gently but firmly press the little tabs at the end of each slot and the memory modules should pop out of their slots. Now you can simply push the modules back in by applying pressure (again gently but firmly) straight down on the module - they should click in at either end.

Once they're both back in you can connect the minimum peripherals back in (mouse, keyboard & monitor (and power which should still be in)) and try turning the system on again. If it boots OK then that's the probably the problem solved, if it doesn't then report back with the current diagnostic lights.

Thanks Bob

Will attempt tomorrow if I have problems will post message.

Regards

Countryman

Thumbs up Thanks

Hi Bob

Thanks very much it worked owe you one

Regards Countryman

Well done Countryman!

Bob

Default More problems

Hi

Bob

Can you help again same machine Dimension 8400 Micosoft XP. I am now trying to install a digital Camera programme and the machine does not find D drive going ito my computer it only recognises C drive and a drive floopy disc drive not D or E DC drives.

Countryman

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Countryman View Post
    Hi

Bob

Can you help again same machine Dimension 8400 Micosoft XP. I am now trying to install a digital Camera programme and the machine does not find D drive going ito my computer it only recognises C drive and a drive floopy disc drive not D or E DC drives.

Countryman
    aah Dell the MFI of the computer world. A mate order a two grand one (their top home model) and it arrived with the optical drives disconnected and it sounds like a 747 on take off. Sell it, build your own then you'll know enough to keep it running.

Sell it, build your own then you'll know enough to keep it running
    Sound advice, build it to your own spec, save a bit of cash and easier than most think ! with a nice helping of smug self satisfaction when its completed.