Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Doorstep callers

Default Doorstep callers

Anyone had "Clic Sergeant" callers. The girl said that there were 11 of them on the move

I see from their website that they are behind the Thurso Beach Boxing Day Dip, though according to their website Thurso Beach is located in "The Avenue, Reay"
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Yes they were in Halkirk yesterday calling around the doors trying to get you to sign up to a Direct Debit.

There were a group of females canvassing for Cancer Research in Wick the other day, Glasgow accent and not a local. I haven't given out any financial information at the door or in the street for quite a few years now more so after my mates' student son told him that when he was out collecting, someone offered him £100 for all the bank information he had collected that day

Cancer Research on Monday afternoon, Clic Sargent last night just about 8pm. I only answered the door was I thought it was the police the way he knocked the door and shone a torch through the doorglass. Having been ripped of two years ago on the doorstep I never give bank details, but find if i ask the caller for a card with contact details so I can donate direct with head office they will never give that information.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

Quote Originally Posted by poppett View Post
    ...but find if i ask the caller for a card with contact details so I can donate direct with head office they will never give that information.
    That's because they only get paid for signing you up for a direct debit.
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

Yes Alrock, all of those folk who sign you up get paid per sign up - discovered when folk from Dogs Trust were staying with me they admitted they were paid £90 per signing and that was a good few years ago.

So think if you do sign the first year of payment is only their wages and there is all the administration costs too so how long before the charity start getting your money - how does a charity think it is OK to do this?

Check your bank account and check if you still wish to pay out to the whichever charity you donate.