Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Adam & Robert Sutherland - Badinsary, Berridale to Otago, New Zealand

Default Adam & Robert Sutherland - Badinsary, Berridale to Otago, New Zealand

I am a direct descendant of Adam Sutherland from Badinsary, Berriedale, Caithness, Scotland. He and his brother Robert emigrated to Otago, New Zealand aboard the Rajah ship in 1853 and early settler in Otago, New Zealand. I have found an 1841 Scotland Census where he is residing with his father, Adam Snr. and his siblings John, Catherine, Christina, Donald, William. I have found an 1851 Scotland Census where he is residing with his father, Adam Snr. and siblings Christina, Donald, William and a cousin Catherine McKay. Adam Jnr's mother, Catherine Sutherland (born Sutherland) and brother Robert do not appear on either censuses. Adam Jnr's father was born in Badinsary, Berriedale. Adam Snr. and Catherine were married on 25 Nov 1813. Their marriage record states that Catherine was from Balnabruich, Dunbeath. Adam Snr. died in 1865 in Badinsary, Berriedale. I assume Catherine died before the 1841 census? Adam Snr. may have been the son of a William Sutherland born abt. 1740 in Stemster, Latheron and another Catharine Sutherland who was born in Latheron Wheel. They married 4 May 1767 in Latheron, Caithness. It gets complicated with Sutherlands marrying Sutherlands! Adam Snr must of had a sister who married a McKay with a daughter Catherine McKay (1851 census). Any help would be appreciated. I have been unable to locate any records of Robert Sutherland (brother of Adam Sutherland Jnr) in Scotland censuses.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Can I suggest if you are in Facebook you add this request to Caithness Family History Society's page. There is also a Facebook page Caithness Family History

Default Pm

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle View Post
    I am a direct descendant of Adam Sutherland from Badinsary, Berriedale, Caithness, Scotland. He and his brother Robert emigrated to Otago, New Zealand aboard the Rajah ship in 1853 and early settler in Otago, New Zealand. I have found an 1841 Scotland Census where he is residing with his father, Adam Snr. and his siblings John, Catherine, Christina, Donald, William. I have found an 1851 Scotland Census where he is residing with his father, Adam Snr. and siblings Christina, Donald, William and a cousin Catherine McKay. Adam Jnr's mother, Catherine Sutherland (born Sutherland) and brother Robert do not appear on either censuses. Adam Jnr's father was born in Badinsary, Berriedale. Adam Snr. and Catherine were married on 25 Nov 1813. Their marriage record states that Catherine was from Balnabruich, Dunbeath. Adam Snr. died in 1865 in Badinsary, Berriedale. I assume Catherine died before the 1841 census? Adam Snr. may have been the son of a William Sutherland born abt. 1740 in Stemster, Latheron and another Catharine Sutherland who was born in Latheron Wheel. They married 4 May 1767 in Latheron, Caithness. It gets complicated with Sutherlands marrying Sutherlands! Adam Snr must of had a sister who married a McKay with a daughter Catherine McKay (1851 census). Any help would be appreciated. I have been unable to locate any records of Robert Sutherland (brother of Adam Sutherland Jnr) in Scotland censuses.
    Any help would be appreciated.

I have PM'd you.