Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Hello from Belgium, nice to meet you! :-)

Default Hello from Belgium, nice to meet you! :-)

Good morning all

As a Dutch entrepreneur living and working in Belgium, I'm considering a lifestyle change in the longer term, by moving to the wonderful Caithness and trying to start a new business, most likely in tourism.
    In order to facilitate this, my wife and I are currently considering buying a plot of land to develop over the coming years, to support our permanent move.

What I am looking for is getting in touch with people who have done something similar in the past, being moving to Caithness from abroad, or, buying a plot of land to develop for tourism activities, or people who have just built a house there and would like to share their experiences.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Hi, initially we were looking to buy a plot up here as land is relatively cheap, but building work is far more expensive than just about anywhere else in the UK. Builders up here know how to build houses to withstand the weather but the cost is huge unless you have contacts.

There are plenty of houses for sale in Caithness, buy one ready built that fits your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodfellers View Post
    Hi, initially we were looking to buy a plot up here as land is relatively cheap, but building work is far more expensive than just about anywhere else in the UK. Builders up here know how to build houses to withstand the weather but the cost is huge unless you have contacts.

There are plenty of houses for sale in Caithness, buy one ready built that fits your needs.
    Thanks Goodfellers, that's interesting to hear, thanks.
    We are no novices at building by the way, we have built our current Scotframe house in Belgium ourselves, meaning with our own hands, mostly. But it's interesting to know the market for construction is different.

I think a good start would be to speak to the highland council planning department before committing to any land purchase.

I know of more than one person who has bought land only to find they could not build the house they wanted.

Planning conditions can be very strict in the Caithness countryside regarding types of build. It can be very difficult to build a two storey property for example, 1 and 1 1/2 storey being preferred in the planning guidelines. They can also be very strict on building size, shape and finish, wood finishes or wet dash being preferred.

Have a look here for more info:

https://www.highland.gov.uk/download...ing_and_design

I'd also be careful to ensure that the land you have bought would gain permission for commercial as opposed to residential use. You don't state what type of tourist activities you are planning but again, it's probably worth discussing with the council if they would be approved prior to making any commitment.

Good luck!
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Indeed, I plan to speak to the council on one of our next visits. Now practically, the best approach would be to go to one of their offices during opening hours, and see if I can make an appointment? Or perhaps give them a call ahead of time, to see if there is time for an appointment of course.
    At this point in time, I have no concrete plans as yet. They will also depend on what the market is open to.
    In terms of tourism, the first activities that spring to mind are for example accommodation, so B&B or camping pods. But also a venue for workshops or outdoor activities could be something interesting.

But indeed, having an informal talk with the council planning department will be important. Thanks for the link as well!

I would definitely call first for an appointment - I doubt they would meet you without one.

I remember when I went for permission for a house they weren't very forthcoming with suggestions or advice, they just kept saying I wouldn't get an "urban" house style granted. They kept sending me to the document I linked and the supplementary guidance documents. They were reluctant to discuss plans until a formal planning application had been made.

I never myself, but I do know you can apply for pre-planning advice for what they will allow on your plot. This is a lot cheaper that planning in principle or a full planning application, but also a lot more vague.
    Patriotism is when love of your own people comes first; Nationalism, when hate for people other than your own comes first.

- Charles de Gaulle

Hi, if you make the leap, welcome, The NC500 has become a BIG attraction in the north, but alas this County is backward in coming forward so accommodation is needed also something for the very popular surfers.

Would an existing B&B with good rapport with previous & recurring customers be of any interest to purchase? if so, let me know and i'l put you in contact with the current owners
    Last edited by Shaggy; 03-Nov-17 at 23:02.

@theone : thanks. We’ll try to make an appointment.

@gaza : interesting that you mention surfers. They have quite specific accommodation requirements I guess. Interesting.

@shaggy : yes and no. We would definitely not be taking over an existing business in the short term. That’s financially not feasible. I wouldn’t exclude this option a couple of years from now though. But for now, I have a hard time believing a b&b would be capable of paying the mortgage as well as earning you a modest living. I think it can only work if you have no mortgage.