Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Broadband on John OGroats line

Default Broadband on John OGroats line

Is anyone else having constant problems with their broadband on the John OGroats line i.e. Extremely slow to non existent, no broadband for days etc ?
    This isn't a new issue it's been ongoing for years and no one (BT or Openreach) can give any information on upgrades to improve the problem. As we are too far away from the exchange fibre broadband won't work without additional work being done

Where are you located and what is your phone number?

I have sent you a PM

I have friends who live in East Mey and they have always had rubbish broadband but now have no internet or landline! As they run their own businesses they are considering changing to satellite.
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

We are in east Mey as well and have had nothing but problems for sometime now. BT had told us they were going to try and get a permanent fix done.
    That has now changed to, that's just the way that line is, you could just cancel the service.
    They have been quite happy to take payment from us for years but now when it comes to repairs or upgrades they aren't interested in supplying the same service which is available to most other customers.

I called them about Greenland. Basically they said if you want more than 2mbps get a 4G dongle.

I have contacted our MP regarding this problem for the 2nd time in a year to see if she can find out when any upgrade is planned and if not why.

Quote Originally Posted by auk View Post
    We are in east Mey as well and have had nothing but problems for sometime now. BT had told us they were going to try and get a permanent fix done.
    That has now changed to, that's just the way that line is, you could just cancel the service.
    They have been quite happy to take payment from us for years but now when it comes to repairs or upgrades they aren't interested in supplying the same service which is available to most other customers.
    That is totally unacceptable and,as you say, they have taken your money for long enough and you deserve a better service. Hope your MP can help. I live in Reiss where broadband is also pretty rubbish and even worse after heavy rain!
    It is ridiculous that we are being charged the same amount as customers with high speed broadband.
    Good luck!
    "Until one has loved an animal part of their soul remains unawakened"

ok thanks I was away and just saw it today and have responded

Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

Private Electronic Workshop in Wick - send us a PM
    **WE NOW DO REPAIRS AND CRACKED SCREENS ON MANY PHONES & TABLETS**
    PC virus/ransomware/data recovery/repair & service
    also Private marine & CB/Amateur radio repairs

The Scotland Superfast link shows me within the Castletown Fibre Cabinet service area, but there are no plans to run fibre to the country from that cabinet , just the Village area around the cabinet. I'm paying for a BT Business connection and getting 1 to2 mbps. Useless for uploading and downloading large files. Especially as the line keeps cutting out every half hour.

If you are in the Murkle area, there is a cabinet roughly outside the old Murkle Post Office at the end of the Sibmister Road
    If you put your details into these checkers it will show if a fibre service is available
    https://www.btwholesale.com/includes...ls_adslchecker
    https://www.homeandbusiness.openreac...an-i-get-fibre

If you can get a fibre service it has to be ordered from a service provider as it is not an automatic upgrade.

Also not all service providers will offer a fibre product unless they can offer over 24mbps, it is probably worth checking around as there are fibre products available with speeds less than 24mbps, although the speed is not techncally superfast it might be still be worth upgrading to fibre to get an enhanced service and speed.