Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Possible Scam

Default Possible Scam

I am not cettain at all about this and I will be looking further into it.

Today I received a letter stating it was from the DWP. They said that as I get my Pension paid into a Post Office Card Account I will need to arrange to get my Pension paid into a Bank Account. If I did not have a Bank Account then I should open one.

Once I have the details of a Bank Account to phone them on the number on the letter and they then would advise me when the change over would happen.

It looked 100% Kosher so I made an appointment for next week to open a Bank Account. Today I went down to the Post Office and I mentioned to them that they would be losing business due to the change over it the method of paying out Pensions etc.

They advised me to contact the Post Office Card account and ask them for as far as they knew there was no need to get Pensions or any DWP payments moved to a Bank Account.

I phoned up the DWP and the person whom I spoke to said that he did not know of any change over and advised me to contact the Post Office Card Accounts and he gave me their Number. I phoned them and the person whom I spoke to said that I did not have to change at all and payments will still be able to be paid into the Post Office Card Account.

I then Googled the Phone Number on the Letter and it came back that it was a known number for Scams and some people were complaing that once they had phoned this number and given them their details then money had vanished from their account.

I then phoned this said number and after a few rings it was cut off and no one answered.

As I said I am not sure that this letter is a Fake or Genuine but tomorrow I will be asking the DWP some searching questions.

So if you have received this letter or get one in the near future then I would suggest that you contact the DWP on a Known Correct Telephone Number and ask them.
    Last edited by Kodiak; 05-Oct-17 at 13:42.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Thank you for sharing Kodiak.

It is always best to double check anything to do with financial information.
    Making tomorrow`s memories today

This should be pinned to the top of the board for a little while.

*UPDATE*

I just got off the phone from the Pensions Departent of the DWP. I was advised that the Government will sometime in the future will be requiring all Benefit Payments to be paid into a Bank Account, Building Society or a Credit Union, when this will happen they had no idea. They say that it is Not neccessary at the Moment but it will be sometime in the future.

As to the letter they did not know if it was Genuine or Not but said that if I wished to keep getting my Pension paid into the Post Office Card Account then just so nothing. She also said that if and when it does become necessary to have DWP Payments paid into a Ban Account it would more than likely be announced on the National News.

So I am just going to ignore this letter and just carry on as before.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe