Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found a pup!

my pup is a f1 or first generation.. meaning her mum is a full lab and dad is a standard poodle...
    the average price right now for an f1 is about 600.. and an f2 and multigens are up to about 800
    i have been on the UK labradoodle forums and have learnt a lot more about them.
    they are very few in rescue and people are all over the few that do go into from what i have seen.
    the more i read the more i cant wait to get my girl!
    http://itqueries.com/

Quote Originally Posted by brandy View Post
    the breed was orig. made by a man in aussie.. to help a sighted lady who need a guide dog, but her husband had severe alergies. he bred the standard poodle and lab for obvious reasons.. the poodle for its coat and high intelegence, and the lab for it temper and uses as guide dogs.
    the crossing of these two "pure bred" which simply means that a type of dog breeds true, and is the same everytime.
    these dogs even though they are not reconised by the kennel club, have had wonderful sucess as guide dogs, therapy dogs (exspecially for children) rescue dogs and many other very noble causes.
    when we decided on a dog, the main thing we were concerned with was temperment and being able to fit into our family.
    and im more than happy to pay a couple hundred pounds for a "mutt" any day, than to pay several hundred for a foul tempered purebred.. which a lot of them are if you are not careful.
    as for health issues.. mixed breeds tend to be healthier than any other breed, as thier lines are not so close, and the chance of line breeding and inbreeding is a lot less.. *Grins*
    as i said.. have been doing a LOT of reading!!
    Brandy,

I don't want to come across as someone who doesn't like dogs or is trying to cause upset for what is usually such an exciting time to get a puppy but it really angers me when dogs are bred without any health tests being carried out.

Saying a dog is healthy isn't enough, there must be appropriate hip scoring and/or elbow scoring and annual eye testing carried out as basics. There are a few more in depth DNA tests that can be carried out on various breeds and its only the DNA tests can guarantee that a dog will not develop the disease or carry the gene for that disease. Hip Dysplacia is a big problem in Labs and Poodles so the issue has been doubled up on in two dogs that haven't apparently had any scoring done at all! I understand that these pups may appear healthy and be healthy but is that purely down to luck and not the breeder trying to minimise any health problems from the outset??

How can a dog be classed as "bred true" when it's not even the same breed?
    A Standard Poodle can be bred true to type as it consistently produces its confromation, substance, coat, quality, temperment just like a Lab can, BUT only when it's bred with the SAME breed of dog.

I totally disagree with you regarding the statement that purebred dogs have bad temperments and ill health. It's generally only backyard breeders that tend to have problems with health through inbreeding. Line breeding and inbreeding are NOT the same thing.

I cannot understand the reasoning behind a Labradoodle - if anyone wants a dog that has no coat shedding, get a Standard Poodle, they aren't stupid dogs!

I shall come down off my soapbox now as I don't want to keep going on about it and I do hope that this puppy turns out what you want it to be.
    "I ask forgiveness continuously for I know he knows, somethings just have to be experienced"

ok, before any one else tells me why i dhouldnt get a puppy,
    im going to explain a few things here.. i do not need approval.. but i did want to share what i had hoped to be a happy time.
    i know how much hard work a puppy is, i have had dogs before.. just not the best luck in the past several years.
    the last was a lovley dog.. that we had went thru the whole house breaking chewing and destroying stage before we gave him up due to bens allergies.. which he has now outgrown.
    the kids wanting a dog is only one reason we are getting one.
    if you want the truth, i need something to love, that is totally dependant on me.. that will need me 24/7 for a while.
    i have this great big huge aching hole inside of me.. i should be taking care of a baby right now.. and i need that.
    lets see, during my horrible preg, i was able to take care of two high energy boys, a guinea pig, a hamster, 2 cats, a bird and a huge tank of fish, work 16 hours a week around hubbys schedule, have gall stones and pancreitis, surgery at 24 weeks, my little boy was extremeley huge.. was 10lbs 14 ozs at 35 weeks.. so imagine how big and uncomfy i was.. yet i still managed to do everything you do in a day..
    yet, here i am planning a pup and being asked am i up for the responsibility?
    do you know i have even had people tell me that it would be too much work.. that a puppy is a lot like having a baby, and would i be able to cope with one with two kids?
    i think that is nasty to say something like that.
    for anyone who wants to know, do i have the time?
    yes i do
    do i have the patience?
    ive not killed my children yet *laughs* but seriously yes i do
    i know this is a lifetime commitment.
    im not stupid.
    i know all about vet costs..
    been there done that.
    cant people just be happy that we are adding a member to our family?
    we can afford to keep a dog, and give it the things it needs
    we have lots of love to go around.
    no the puppy will not be on a pedestool.. it will be a ragtag member of this family.. it will get into just as much muck and fuss as the rest of us..
    when it pees poops and pukes everywhere i will do just what i always do... clean it up, give a cuddle and go on.. to the next spill...
    in this house we dont care about spills and messes they happen.. we just either laugh about it or gurn and clean it up..
    and finally at the end of the day.. if something does go wrong.. and the pup that we get.. were to god forbid have an illness we will deal with it..
    i dont want any memeber of my family to be sick.. but if it were to happen then i would love them just the same.. if not more in spite of it.
    im very happy with getting this puppy.. we are all very excited.. just share that with us please..

Brandy

I hope you havent taken my comments meaning that you shouldnt have a dog or puppy. My comments are directed at the breed of puppy that you are planning. At the end of the day it is your choice, but I am only trying to advise you to look for the best puppy you can and I really dont believe that Labradoodles are all that they are 'cracked up' to be. If this was the case why havent the Kennel Club registered them yet as they like to make money too!
    "I ask forgiveness continuously for I know he knows, somethings just have to be experienced"

no crusty its not you..
    i do understand what you are saying, but at the end of the day this is my choice.
    i just wonder if we had went to the pound and picked up a stray would we have gotten all the grief?
    all i wanted when i started this thread was a .. congrats on your new addition.. nothing else..
    but as usual no one can leave it at that.
    sometimes i wonder how anyone can even buy a dog or get a rescue.. as it seems only people who have dogs should have one..
    some dog owners are very condesending of people who want to get a puppy.
    exspecially if you have young children.
    im sorry but im getting fed up with it.
    im tired of people putting their noses into my buisness.. and no its not just here but in general life.. and no its not just about a puppy but everything.
    it seems that recently.. people think that i have lost the ability to function.
    well i havent.
    yes i am overly sensitive at the moment, but im tired of people telling what i should and should not be doing.
    i am fit enough to take care of my family, to raise to small children, but im not fit to take care of a dog?
    a bit backwards that..
    anyway im going to close this thread as it is now serving no purpose.
    we are getting our puppy, she will have a loving home,
    and for those of you that are happy for us, thank you.. and ill see several of you on the doodle forum!
    and hopefully at meets and get togethers!
    lots of love brandy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12