Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Internet

Default Internet

Hi sure this has been covered a million times but a quick question

In the Thurso Castletown area who have you found to be best for internet providers and what kind of speeds do you get ?

Thanks in advance

Jim

I think BT have just put high speed into the Castletown exchange, not sure what speed you can get though. I'm sure BT can tell you what speed should be realistic.

[QUOTE=Goodfellers;1171072]I think BT have just put high speed into the Castletown exchange, not sure what speed you can get though. I'm sure BT can tell you what speed should be realistic.

I have an inherent distrust of anything b t tell me after a number of bad experiences but will give them a try cheers

I am with PlusNet and I find them Very Good. I am getting a steady 30mbs Download. Cost for Fibre BroadBand, Line Rental and Unlimited Phone Calls 24/7 is £35 a Month.

https://www.plus.net/home-broadband/

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allen Poe

Castletown was upgraded by BT some time ago. Much better now than surrounding areas.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

The surrounding area is pretty bad speedwise. We had our speed checked at 1mbps with frequent dropouts. Max download I find to be 2mbps. Seven years ago it was 22mbps. Bt say the Greenland line will only support 1mbps today and it might be due to extra connections and Internet TVs in the area . They suggested everyone in the area contact BT Open Reach on their website to express an interest in an upgrade.

Been in Greenland 10 years. 7.2 miles down a copper wire from Castletown exchange.
    Never been able to achieve greater than 0.5Mb dowload speed.

Current PlusNet connection is more stable than previous BT Broadband service.
    (Same company of course and same copper wires).
    Plusnet realise its so poor, I actually get it included free, as long as I keep their landline telephone service.
    It is fine for general browseing and e mail.
    Internet TV or streaming movies - forget it.

OpenReach are unlikely to upgrade the landline cable anytime soon as not commercially viable to do so.

I have a separate satellite broadband system with 20Mb download speeds for business use.
    The download allowance is however very restrictive.

In summary, its the Broadband wilderness.

Where do you live Kodak ?

sorry think our log in name is miss leading the house we’re buying is called Greenland !