Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Every One Remembered - World War 1

Default Every One Remembered - World War 1

Hello all,

I just thought I would take the time to post this link to a site managed by the Royal British Legion. It is a site I didn't know about until a couple of days ago - it seems to have slipped by me unnoticed.

The website is gathering information in the form of photos, stories, etc., for everyone who was killed during World War One. I stumbled across it simply because I saw an advert for poppy pins that were made to commemorate 100 years of Passchendaele (Third Battle of Ypres), and on receiving the pin there was a mention of this website. I think it is a wonderful site. and although it does aim to do what is already done by the Imperial War Museum at "https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org", I feel that it may be of interest to some of you out there. The difference between the websites is that the IWM website asks us to remember everyone that served (those who survived, and those who died), but the RBL website asks us to remember only those that were killed.

I thought I had no links to Passchendaele until I re-read my many reference books, and it is a fact that the 5th Seaforth Highlanders (Caithness Territorial Unit) fought at Pilckem Ridge. So, it may be of interest to some of you.

Thanks for reading,
    Steven

P.S. I should say that it isn't only for UK forces - you can remember other Commonwealth countries' contributions too.
    Last edited by sgmcgregor; 02-Sep-17 at 12:30. Reason: Added P.S.

Thank-you for posting this. That website is a wonderful resource and I have been amazed at some of the information about a couple of my own relatives I've discovered there. These times, like all times are a good time to remember our history and those who have gone before.

Lest we forget.

https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/

Keltickev,

Thanks for replying. I'm glad that my posting has helped at least one person.

I have to admit that after finding the website for the first time I didn't check the message board to see if it had been mentioned before. Therefore, if I have repeated anyone's earlier message I apologise. Plus, it can be quite difficult to know whether something should be posted, or not. Just because something is new to me, it doesn't mean that nobody else knew already. I may have been "Johnny Latecomer", and was the last to know.

Good luck with your continued research, and I hope you find out much more about many more relatives.

Steven