Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Advice on Graveling a garden area please

Default Advice on Graveling a garden area please

Got a 8m x 8m patch, not the flattest ground full of weeds, stumps from a few bushes etc.

The plan is to get a digger and flatten it all out, then put down hardcore, a layer of weed membrane then about 2 inch of gravel on top the whole area. In the future I might make a patio area or a small deck so just wanting to do the best thing to future proof.

Am I rite in laying hardcore, then the membrane then stones on top or should I do this in a different order.

Also do I need to take the top layer off and dump or is it ok to just get the digger in and dig it up then flatten.

Any advice would be great!
    Last edited by MrA; 26-Jul-17 at 21:14.

hi there

firstly level the area where you want you project to start,

you will have to put down level edging boards to create a border for where you want your patio/gravel area

then lay down the weed proof membrane, on this add your crushed stone base/ hard-core, make sure you compact this down, then you can pour the top layer of gravel.

if you slab it later you can just use a dry sand and cement to level, if you build a wooden patio, you just need to make sure that the water drains away from underneath.

hope this helps.

Martyn
    BE YOURSELF - EVERYONE ELSE IS TAKEN