Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Moving to the highlands

True enough. A friend of mine was in Thurso a few years ago to give a talk to (I think) the Field Club. She's Canadian, but had lived in Edinburgh for a few years by that time. She loved the scenery on the train up, the views and the architecture, and said the people were really friendly. The next morning she went for an early walk and was unsettled by complete strangers saying hello and talking about the weather. Her husband's from a farming family on the Isle of Man, and it took us both a long time to persuade her that this is what normal folk do outside the cities. To this day I don't think she's convinced.

Last edited by sweatysock; 03-Sep-17 at 21:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Bystander1 View Post
    So whats a Cattach ?
    https://imgflip.com/i/1v8fzn
    Last edited by sweatysock; 03-Sep-17 at 21:49.

Hi Jim.

How are your plans going so far?

I’m also looking into moving to the Highlands before, or just after xmas, depending on the job market.
    I shall be visiting at the end of November, staying in Thurso and Wick for a week to try and get a feel for the place.

I’m a Yorkshireman currently living and working in Ayr (11 years). Health and Social Care Manager. I know there is plenty of work in this field throughout the Highlands, but as someone else has stated on here ‘it’s not what you know, but who you know,’ which concerns me, but quite understandable.

I will be coming as a single man with no baggage and looking for a fresh start.

I read through the Thesis someone posted on here about life/history in Caithness, which I thoroughly enjoyed (thanks poster) and the swinging going down in Halkirk, which made me laugh (is this real going on?) �� Not that I’m interested of course.

so, it would be great if the good folk on here would give a bit of information regarding the social side of things such as...

The weekend pub social scene. I’m no big drinker, but do enjoy meeting people the traditional way, as I am single and very sociable. Do the pubs get busy of a weekend? Where are the best places to frequent in Thurso and Wick? Which is the busiest Thurso or Wick? Where not to go and will I stick out like a sore thumb.

Thanks,

Shane.
    Last edited by WOODSY; 05-Nov-17 at 21:11. Reason: Mistype

Quote Originally Posted by WOODSY View Post
    Hi Jim.

How are your plans going so far?

I’m also looking into moving to the Highlands before, or just after xmas, depending on the job market.
    I shall be visiting at the end of November, staying in Thurso and Wick for a week to try and get a feel for the place.

I’m a Yorkshireman currently living and working in Ayr (11 years). Health and Social Care Manager. I know there is plenty of work in this field throughout the Highlands, but as someone else has stated on here ‘it’s not what you know, but who you know,’ which concerns me, but quite understandable.

I would be coming as a single man with no baggage and looking for a fresh start.

I read through the Thesis someone posted on here about life/history in Caithness, which I thoroughly enjoyed (thanks poster) and the swinging going down in Halkirk, which made me laugh (is this real going on?) �� Not that I’m interested of course.

so, it would be great if the good folk on here would give a bit of information regarding the social side of things such as...

The weekend pub social scene. I’m no big drinker, but do enjoy meeting people the traditional way, as I am single and very sociable. Do the pubs get busy of a weekend? Where are the best places to frequent in Thurso and Wick? Which is the busiest Thurso or Wick? Where not to go and will I stick out like a sore thumb.

Thanks,

Shane.
    Hi Shane

Things are moving along nicely and we all being well will be landing two weeks from now really excited but with a stack of renovation to do before starting work in January so dropped on lucky ! I’m also a Yorkshire lad originally Sheffield but living on the dark side before the big move north.

Jim

Hi and a little laugh to myself when you mentioned Sheffield (small world a tell thi).

Sheffield born n bred and in my late 40s now.

Born in Lowedges, moved to Foxhill and then Waterthorpe. 2 sisters and 4 brothers-1 brother Clinton went on to win all major boxing titles-including world champion. I don’t think mum n dad had a TV back in the early days. Haha!

Which area of Sheff you from, if you don’t mind me asking

Your plan sounds good to me.

Shane.
    Last edited by WOODSY; 05-Nov-17 at 17:15.

Clint woods by any chance ?? That’s awesome does that make you a red as well ??

Spent my early years in crooks then we moved away to donny long story

Drop me a message if your heading up

Are you an nhs manager ? Medical background ??

Aye, our young-un-Clinton. Retired (lucky beggar) well, actually runs a successful boxing gym in Sheffield now. I’m assuming your reference to ‘red’ is football? Die hard Wednesday fan, like myself. Although he does go to watch Liverpool a few times over the season with his son.

My son lives in Doncaster with his wife, and my daughter is at Uni.

Not NHS-Charity sector. I manage 6/24/7 supported living services on a daily basis, which increases to 12/24/7 services + 45 outreach services every 4 weeks when i’m on-call...a lot of work. �� adults with complex needs. Looking for the same, or a move into children’s service/elderly/homeless etc. I think i’ve Just managed to sell myself if anyone is looking for staff it’s:

woodsshane35@yahoo.com

All social service positions will be gratefully received.

My plan is Caithness and then a week in Inverness if no luck, but Caithness is my first choice and I can hang around for as long as I need to for interviews.

Cheers Jim, and will certainly get in touch when I get here.

Apologies in advance Mods, for going off tangent, and/or breaking forum rules.

Shane.
    Last edited by WOODSY; 05-Nov-17 at 23:18.

And Caithness has a rich history. Apparently the Vikings dropped off all the pear shaped women here on the way home from raiding South.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234