Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving to the highlands

and the worst village in the county for incomers.
    I'm guessing that KJsigns will not agree with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Bogbrush View Post
    One word: naked sabbats! And if you're swingers, Halkirk's the place for you.
    Think we can safely say we won't be going there then 😀

Quote Originally Posted by KJSigns View Post
    Having moved up to Lybster from Devon in March 16 Ive got to say there is some fantastic advice in this post and its covered nearly everything we have encountered. I would just add that why not come try it out before selling your soul into the move, we looked at a few different houses before committing and then came up over Christmas 2015 for a week in a holiday cottage. Or you could even rent for a few months before making the final purchase and commitment.

The time of the year you move will also dictate employment prospects so if your needing to work to cover expenses then March - September is the best time for job prospects, during the winter I found not a lot was advertised except for care and NHS positions so you need to ensure you have this covered or it could be 6-12 months of no earnings before you find anything possibly a lot longer.

When we came up on holiday we had a lot of expectations and a huge amount of doubts, within a couple days most of the doubts had gone and we had also realised a lot of what has been mentioned already. Even better for us is the fact we loved our holiday cottage so much that on the last day we found out it was for sale, quick call to the owner and local estate agent saw our house go up for sale 2nd Jan and we sold and moved in on 1st March and we can honestly say never once looked back.

Rules for Caithness

Tell people your business or they will make it up
    Talk to locals they don't bite (most of the year)
    Offer your support to the community offer ideas but don't try and change things.
    If your coming to visit first, do it during the middle of winter, if you love that then summer will be a easy.

Any questions about moving please feel free to ask will try and help with anything we encountered.
    Thanks for that great advice we have done the last years holidays up and around the area sounds very similar and strangely I work in health so that sounds good.

We will defo be in touch with more questions

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    You will find that there are mmmmany homes for sale there... I don't know how they can ask the prices they do.
    Knock at least 25% off their asking price. The problem is that if you buy and want to sell, you will lose big time. Best to rent and when you set you eye on a place go LOW.
    I do follow the Real Estate market and there is a large house that has been for sale for years....this is an example......it started out at £475,000and went down to 285,000. It keeps coming back......don't know where its is now but for years this has been going on.
    Yes Halkirk takes the prize for criss/crossing! Won't take you long........Trust the Royal Mail!
    Mind you, Lybster is an active little Village.....of course it depends what you want.
    Not sure it's wise to ask but what's cross crossing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimandlynngreenland View Post
    Think we can safely say we won't be going there then 
    Take note of the pampas grass and avoid the places marked with that too

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...les-plummeting

J/K
    So, to be serious I've always enjoyed my times in Caithness and once thought about living there full time, but distance from family and health issues counted against that. I agree with the people who said renting first is best. Very good advice, take heed of that. I would have been in a very bad position now if I'd gone with my heart not my head and overcommitted myself to a dwelling a few years back.

My tips would be waterproof clothing for there is no such thing as bad weather- just bad clothing, a love of outdoor life, a capacity for self reliance, enjoyment of your own company or the easy going nature to find friendship where it shows itself. There is no room for pretenders or 'the snowflakes' or drama queens in Caithness. Your neighbours will know your secrets and you'll know their secrets. Good fences make good neighbours. Be a good neighbour.

AND
    Keep complaining about broadband speeds till someone does something to improve it.

Good luck.
    Last edited by keltickev; 16-Aug-17 at 19:13.

Never got your message angel wasn't being rude

Quote Originally Posted by keltickev View Post
    Take note of the pampas grass and avoid the places marked with that too

As if that's actually a thing I'm now wracking my brain if I know any one with it in there garden 😩😩😩
    https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...les-plummeting

J/K
    So, to be serious I've always enjoyed my times in Caithness and once thought about living there full time, but distance from family and health issues counted against that. I agree with the people who said renting first is best. Very good advice, take heed of that. I would have been in a very bad position now if I'd gone with my heart not my head and overcommitted myself to a dwelling a few years back.

My tips would be waterproof clothing for there is no such thing as bad weather- just bad clothing, a love of outdoor life, a capacity for self reliance, enjoyment of your own company or the easy going nature to find friendship where it shows itself. There is no room for pretenders or 'the snowflakes' or drama queens in Caithness. Your neighbours will know your secrets and you'll know their secrets. Good fences make good neighbours. Be a good neighbour.

Was worried it sounded a bit cheesy but we're so looking forward to community self reliance real people

AND
    Keep complaining about broadband speeds till someone does something to improve it.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by 2little2late View Post
    and the worst village in the county for incomers.
    Required reading for future incomers perhaps?

https://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/bitstre...Masson2009.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by nineteenseventyeight View Post
    Required reading for future incomers perhaps?

https://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/bitstre...Masson2009.pdf
    Interesting. Thanks for that.

Default Moving to caithness

Caithness may not have fast food outlets expensive places to shop

what caithness is rich in is the community te sense of well being

and somewhere do you want to live

i know where i wan to live its caithness

i wish you success in moving

Get one of these, they're perfect for man (woman) or beast! http://www.tickcard.co.uk/

And maybe one of these (if you're out in the wilds like we are) http://www.midgie.net/

We've just moved up from NE Wales, it's bliss but not without some effort (which we don't have a problem with).

Everyone has been very helpful and friendly and we are completely taken with the place.

Thoroughly agree with the idea of rental recce if you've nowhere in mind, we airbnb'd to recce our place over 6mths or so prior to moving (we've just arrived).

We wish you much luck and best wishes.
    Last edited by SteveMarquis; 20-Aug-17 at 09:33. Reason: Forgot the link

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMarquis View Post
    Get one of these, they're perfect for man (woman) or beast! http://www.tickcard.co.uk/

And maybe one of these (if you're out in the wilds like we are) http://www.midgie.net/

We've just moved up from NE Wales, it's bliss but not without some effort (which we don't have a problem with).

Everyone has been very helpful and friendly and we are completely taken with the place.

Thoroughly agree with the idea of rental recce if you've nowhere in mind, we airbnb'd to recce our place over 6mths or so prior to moving (we've just arrived).

We wish you much luck and best wishes.
    Thanks Steve cheers for the advice where did you settle in the end ?

Just playing through now interesting read thank you

In Broubster, Shebster. Let me know how you get on.

I have to say that I am surprised at the number of incomers I'm meeting (many from Cheshire /Liverpool which was more my neck of the woods). I wonder how much it riles the natives, all these foreigners, I hope we don't. I think there was a response further up the thread about learning the language which we might go for, we learned a lot of North Walian over the 15 or so years we were there and can hold a basic conversation.

That said and I'll repeat, everyone I've met so far has been more than helpful. It's been a wonderful experience and I'm looking forward to seeing /experiencing the seasons.

Steve

[QUOTE=SteveMarquis;1169773]In Broubster, Shebster. Let me know how you get on.

I have to say that I am surprised at the number of incomers I'm meeting (many from Cheshire /Liverpool which was more my neck of the woods). I wonder how much it riles the natives, all these foreigners, I hope we don't. I think there was a response further up the thread about learning the language which we might go for, we learned a lot of North Walian over the 15 or so years we were there and can hold a basic conversation.

That said and I'll repeat, everyone I've met so far has been more than helpful. It's been a wonderful experience and I'm looking forward to seeing /experiencing the seasons.

Methinks the names 'Natives and Foreigners' be forgotten! Arn't we all the same!
    We go from Emigrant to Immigrant........

Well said The Horseman

[QUOTE=The Horseman;1169804]
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMarquis View Post
    In Broubster, Shebster. Let me know how you get on.

Methinks the names 'Natives and Foreigners' be forgotten! Arn't we all the same!
    We go from Emigrant to Immigrant........
    Yes, we are ALL incomers.

Before we moved, nearly 4 years ago, a neighbour, in Inverness, who had lived and worked in Wick for many years, warned us that 'Cattachs don't stab you in the back but march straight up to you and knife you in the chest'. Hasn't happened to either of us yet, so I guess we can't have given anyone any cause yet. Oh, I nearly forgot, someone on here took umbrage about a request for help with a deer problem, but anyone can pick up the wrong end of any stick!
    I can't imagine living anywhere else now. It also means that family and friends have to really want to see you to make the effort to travel. I subsidised my children and grandchildren for the first three years' travel, until they were earning enough to afford their own rail tickets to Inverness. I tend to collect them from Inverness as the train times to Wick are ridiculous and the bus connection isn't always possible. My youngest granddaughter,8, would move here in a trice if I got the broadband sorted out!
    Yes, I miss my favourite Costa coffee, but there are passable alternatives here and I bought myself a milk frother to make my own with. And when my favourite bread stopped being available I got a bread maker and now I make my own. I always try to insist that anything I buy online is delivered by Royal Mail or Parcelforce to keep the charges reasonable ie not punitive, and also to ensure it will be safely delivered to the correct address - see other strands on here for tales of woe about the various courier companies.
    You find your priorities become reordered and I would say for the better. I wish, in some ways that we had moved here 15 years ago, but then I wouldn't be in the place I am now and that place is home.

So whats a Cattach ?

This is a bit tongue in cheek. It's funny but true. If you are not used to people randomly talking to you, it can seem a bit strange, but you soon get used to it, then when you head south be prepared for odd looks when you say 'hello' to strangers on the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT0a...ature=youtu.be

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast