Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moving to the highlands

Most people up hear swear by smidge but your just paying a lot of money for a fancy smell. Anything that is 30% deet minimum will work... the trick is to find one that you don't mind the smell of because if you don't apply it EVERYWHERE they will find that one spot and swarm to it. I'm talking eyelids, top lip, ears, any exposed skin surface and anywhere that could be exposed when you bend over... just above your sock for example. I personaly use the 50% jungle formula sold by boots (marked as suitable for yellow fever zones! Its water resistant so I don't have to keep reappling every time i break into a sweat - yes it does get that hot up here...occasionaly) they do it as a spray and as a roll on for the face. You have to buy the stuff in batches cos its only sold up here around the summer holidays.

Then again I live out in the sticks you might get away with a milder formula out in the towns. Anyone else care to comment.....

JANJO is a little pesamistic but she is right about taking your time you can't appreciate the isolation up here with just a few short visits and as dozy said once you have moved up it's hard to move back out. If you have the finances / flexibility renting for a while would give you a good idea whether you can hack the weather, popping down to Invernes ectra whilst leaving you free to relocate if needed. (I hope you wont it is great up here :-D.)

In the summer it doesn't get dark....in the winter it doesn't get light

But that's not true, is it? In the winter, it does get light, maybe not for long but it does happen!

caithness is full of people who dont want to live here, but here they live for what ever reason, i was born here live here and will die here, i have traveled all over the world and find that all points on the compass point to home with no wish to live anywhere else, its a great place to live just say hi to the neighbours and help out if they need it and the favour will be returned when you need it, thats the way we live up here, live like that and you will soon become a local, learn the language lek ats hid ower er an iss is hid ower here, and your home and dry

Quote Originally Posted by davem View Post
    No speed limits!! - I think you'll find the road safety unit cars from Dingwall have other ideas. More than 10mph over the limit £200 and 4 points at least
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel View Post
    I have sent you a message...click on your name and go to messages...

Good luck...

Angel
    Quote Originally Posted by bigmac View Post
    caithness is full of people who dont want to live here, but here they live for what ever reason, i was born here live here and will die here, i have traveled all over the world and find that all points on the compass point to home with no wish to live anywhere else, its a great place to live just say hi to the neighbours and help out if they need it and the favour will be returned when you need it, thats the way we live up here, live like that and you will soon become a local, learn the language lek ats hid ower er an iss is hid ower here, and your home and dry
    Thanks Big Mac it's a big draw for us we live In a soul less community where no one speaks to each other and everything is just a little bit dour and disposable !

[QUOTE=dragonfly;1169533]In the summer it doesn't get dark....in the winter it doesn't get light[/QU

Is that a good thing or a bad thing ??

[QUOTE=B0wer;1169526]Most people up hear swear by smidge but your just paying a lot of money for a fancy smell. Anything that is 30% deet minimum will work... the trick is to find one that you don't mind the smell of because if you don't apply it EVERYWHERE they will find that one spot and swarm to it. I'm talking eyelids, top lip, ears, any exposed skin surface and anywhere that could be exposed when you bend over... just above your sock for example. I personaly use the 50% jungle formula sold by boots (marked as suitable for yellow fever zones! Its water resistant so I don't have to keep reappling every time i break into a sweat - yes it does get that hot up here...occasionaly) they do it as a spray and as a roll on for the face. You have to buy the stuff in batches cos its only sold up here around the summer holidays.

Thanks bower everyone keeps mentioning some stuff from Avon works a treat will bring some of stuff you suggested up as they love me !

Quote Originally Posted by JANJO View Post
    Hello Jim, You still have time to change your Mind , If you do not mind having to travel to Inverness to buy something that would cost you half the price as Caithness, or if you are fortunate enough not to become ill, and your only hope of survival is in Raigmore Invernes instead of Wick, then you should be fine, Or if you dont mind moast areas being dead at weekends, when everywhere else is open, again you should be fine, and not to mention , if you dont mind the local council still being stuck in the 1960"s, and charging for most things, but giving very little back in return, you should be fine...Great place if you are only passing thru it.
    Am I detecting a hint of pessimism janjo ? 😀 Any highlights as well ?

[QUOTE=Aaldtimer;1169520]This stuff helps apparently :- [URL]https://www.google

This is the stuff everyone says to try habe you given it a whirl ??

Got to ask are you in the m h field with the r d Laing quote ( it's the field I'm in )

Keep to the road.

Stay off the moors.

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Keep to the road.

Stay off the moors.
    Werewolves ???

Exclamation

[QUOTE=Jimandlynngreenland;1169547]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaldtimer View Post
    This stuff helps apparently :- [URL]https://www.google

This is the stuff everyone says to try habe you given it a whirl ??

A. Have never had the need for it...immunised by 2+ years of Singapore Mozzies! Hearsay recommendations only.

Got to ask are you in the m h field with the r d Laing quote ( it's the field I'm in )

A. Not in the Mental Health field, no. (Well past retirement for any field)

Only thing to look out for on the moors is the adders taking the rays!

Enjoy your stay and ignore the naysayers...I came up here in '79, just to see if I would like it...say no more!
    "Life is a sexually transmitted disease, with 100% fatality." R.D.Laing

Quote Originally Posted by Jimandlynngreenland View Post
    Werewolves ???
    & don't forget the Vampires in Portgower
    “We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine....
    And the machine is bleeding to death."

One thing, if you are a lover of the outdoors so possibly you like walking and maybe have a dog(?), there are a lot of ticks in the summer and a risk of Lyme's disease so best to be aware of that when out and about and to take precautions.

Having moved up to Lybster from Devon in March 16 Ive got to say there is some fantastic advice in this post and its covered nearly everything we have encountered. I would just add that why not come try it out before selling your soul into the move, we looked at a few different houses before committing and then came up over Christmas 2015 for a week in a holiday cottage. Or you could even rent for a few months before making the final purchase and commitment.

The time of the year you move will also dictate employment prospects so if your needing to work to cover expenses then March - September is the best time for job prospects, during the winter I found not a lot was advertised except for care and NHS positions so you need to ensure you have this covered or it could be 6-12 months of no earnings before you find anything possibly a lot longer.

When we came up on holiday we had a lot of expectations and a huge amount of doubts, within a couple days most of the doubts had gone and we had also realised a lot of what has been mentioned already. Even better for us is the fact we loved our holiday cottage so much that on the last day we found out it was for sale, quick call to the owner and local estate agent saw our house go up for sale 2nd Jan and we sold and moved in on 1st March and we can honestly say never once looked back.

Rules for Caithness

Tell people your business or they will make it up
    Talk to locals they don't bite (most of the year)
    Offer your support to the community offer ideas but don't try and change things.
    If your coming to visit first, do it during the middle of winter, if you love that then summer will be a easy.

Any questions about moving please feel free to ask will try and help with anything we encountered.
    If you need sign writing or sign & print services then why not give me a call.
    Tel: 01593 721172
    www.kjsigns.uk

One word: naked sabbats! And if you're swingers, Halkirk's the place for you.

You will find that there are mmmmany homes for sale there... I don't know how they can ask the prices they do.
    Knock at least 25% off their asking price. The problem is that if you buy and want to sell, you will lose big time. Best to rent and when you set you eye on a place go LOW.
    I do follow the Real Estate market and there is a large house that has been for sale for years....this is an example......it started out at £475,000and went down to 285,000. It keeps coming back......don't know where its is now but for years this has been going on.
    Yes Halkirk takes the prize for criss/crossing! Won't take you long........Trust the Royal Mail!
    Mind you, Lybster is an active little Village.....of course it depends what you want.
    Last edited by The Horseman; 16-Aug-17 at 15:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    But that's not true, is it? In the winter, it does get light, maybe not for long but it does happen!
    To us locals it gets "light" but to those from further south it doesn't lol. I love the winter so not a problem but a lot of people up here are affected by SAD due to the lack of light especially if working normal daytime hours...you go to work in the dark and come home in it too

[QUOTE=Jimandlynngreenland;1169543]
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
    In the summer it doesn't get dark....in the winter it doesn't get light[/QU

Is that a good thing or a bad thing ??
    Depends on if you like short days and long nights.. as I've said in reply to Fulmar, a lot of people get SAD and have to use UV lights to lift their mood due to the shortage of natural daylight during the midst of Winter. if you do come north in the winter you'll realise quite quickly the reason why Scots are so vocal about keeping the extra hour of daylight from the clock changes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Lybster is an active little Village.....of course it depends what you want.
    and the worst village in the county for incomers.
    A 1991 Gallup survey indicated that 49 percent of Americans didn't know that white bread is made from wheat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast