Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog advice needed.

Default Dog advice needed.

We got our bitch from Balmore over a year ago aged six months. She had been kept in a shed from what we could gather but has matured into a great family dog with only one problem, she poos and wees and cries whenever we go out and leave her !

Help !

Rich....

Default probs leaving dog

It seems like she has seperation anxiety!! Have you tired leaving the radio or telly on when you go out ? or you could try recording your own voice and leave that playing which should help calm her!
    How long is she left on her own? Does she have plenty of toys etc to keep her amused? you could also try one of them ball that you put treats into and she has to work with it to get them out which will keep her mind occupied!
    But much depends on the dog and yourself and how you interact when you are at home, there are a few methods that may help but it will take time and patience!

Quote Originally Posted by blondscot View Post
    It seems like she has seperation anxiety!! Have you tired leaving the radio or telly on when you go out ? or you could try recording your own voice and leave that playing which should help calm her!
    How long is she left on her own? Does she have plenty of toys etc to keep her amused? you could also try one of them ball that you put treats into and she has to work with it to get them out which will keep her mind occupied!
    But much depends on the dog and yourself and how you interact when you are at home, there are a few methods that may help but it will take time and patience!
    I agree - we obviously think on the same lines

I used to know a Jack Russell who ate a flat, basically. She ate the carpets, the furniture the curtains, the ornaments, the doors etc etc. Handled in the wrong way it will get worse.

I came across this site and there is some excellent advice here:

http://www.wagntrain.com/SeparationAnx.htm

good luck! Sounds like she is getting so much of your love and fuss and cuddles and attention when you're around that being without you is just unbearable.

You need to put a bit of distance there - like a person who tells you they love you and you like them back but you're not sure you're ready to declare 'love' just yet.

You can turn up the warmth again once she's calmed down and got used to the fact that there are times when you need to be absent and her job is to live with it without going crazy.

It's not an easy problem to fix. What the Americans call 'crate training' (Google) would probably help too.

best of luck!
    Last edited by emb123; 24-May-07 at 23:01. Reason: text ended up in the wrong place

Thank you for the advice, we are going to try leaving her with one of my tops and the TV on, we only ever leave her for short times (school runs etc) but no matter how short we always come home to a surprise. She also has a ball to play with and always a nice bone from the butchers which she usess alot when we are here.

We are also going to try ignoring her for a bit and see how that goes. If we have to we will resort to a kennel in the house we really dont want to do this but if we have to we will.

Thank you, will let you know how we get on in a week or two.

Rich....

Thank you for the pms too .

Just wondering what happens in the run up to you leaving her?
    Do you feel so guilty about it that you make a big fuss of her?

You could try a crate. I used to think it was cruel to crate them but now I wouldn't be without one. They're only needed for a short time and they really work. It gives you a place to put your dog while she gets used to being alone and dogs will not poo or pee where they sleep - not if they can possibly help it. It prevents the chewing as well. If she howls or cries at first, cover the cage with a blanket. You'll be amazed how they end up taking themselves off to their cage just to have a nap.
    It's your peace of mind too.

Other than that I would suggest that before you go out don'y make a fuss of her, as bad as you feel for her don't make a big thing of it.

We had a german shepherd puppy once that obliterated our kitchen. i had no idea what to do about it back then and at the time I thought cages were cruel.
    That german shepherd wouldn't chew a thing now and the best bit is that it can be done without getting fraught and cheesed off. Everyones happy!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

http://thetenaciousgardener.blogspot.co.uk/

Well heres the update I said I would give you.

We tried all the things advised and nothing worked so in the end we bought a cage, placed her double quilt into it and gave her a bone from the butchers, she RAN into the cage and didnt come out for half an hour .

Tonight we are going to wait untill the children are in bed and go and have a coffee in the garden letting her think we have gone out by moving the car.

Fingers crossed.

Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by rich62_uk View Post

We tried all the things advised and nothing worked so in the end we bought a cage, placed her double quilt into it and gave her a bone from the butchers, she RAN into the cage and didnt come out for half an hour .

Tonight we are going to wait untill the children are in bed and go and have a coffee in the garden letting her think we have gone out by moving the car.

Fingers crossed.

Rich.
    finger crossed here too!

If you can avoid any fuss of her either before going out and most especially when you come in and make the cage the place where she sleeps and where she retreats to of her own accord when she's not the centre of attention, or simply when she is not invited to participate, then it will help. Although you love her, let her feel that she is 'on sufferance', that you and your family and everything else come first - she can be involved if she's good and if she's invited but there will be times when she wants... but just because she wants doesn't mean she gets.

If I come in with a load of shopping, I get all the shopping in, take my coat off, get all the frozen stuff put away and all the fridge stuff put away, take my shoes off and THEN I'll give my dog some of the attention he wants, then I'll put the rest of the shopping away have a nice coffee and maybe we'll play or maybe I'll sit and give him a fuss but it's on my terms. I'll thrilled to bits that he's pleased to see me but I know better than to make too much of a big deal of my coming in. If you can do that sort of thing a few times it will let her know that you care about her and she'll still get all the fuss she wants, just that it's because you want to, not because she can expect it. Seems a little harsh but if you can make it work you'll all be so much happier for it as a result.

Do keep us posted!

fill some kongs with treats and only give her them in the crate.make it a really tasty treat like primula in the kong (not the full of additives stuff kong sells for them..they can make my dogs hyper) then she will a) associate the crate with tasty treats and b) her mind will be off you being away buy having a few food filled kongs or similar I fill old small juice bottles with dog biccies too and leave the top off keeps them busy for hours also tuna/ sardines makes a good filler for kongs too.the smellier the better..
    good luck.

a kong filler I make up is in a glass put a fair few porridge oats, chop up a bit of firm cheese into tiny bits and a couple of little bits of butter too, mix it all together then add the barest minimum of milk to bind it (or water) then store in the fridge - sets quite hard and I break bits off and shove into the kong. That way mine gets to enjoy the bits of butter and cheese which he loves and oats (which he's also very fond of) and it's nice and healthy. I don't make up too much in one hit because being fresh it will only keep for a few days.

Fingers crossed.

Rich.

I love the lengths we all go to to make sure our babies are ok!! hehehe! (will she know you've moved the car??!!!!)
    ***Om Mani Padme Hum***

She knew we moved the car and thought we had gone out, she howled for a bit then settled for a bit then howled . She was confused and wasnt sure if she should cry or settle down on the quilt with her bone , at least she didnt poo or wee !

We will give it another go tonight and hope she gets the idea that we WILL come back.

Rich.

She knew we moved the car and thought we had gone out, she howled for a bit then settled for a bit then howled . She was confused and wasnt sure if she should cry or settle down on the quilt with her bone , at least she didnt poo or wee !

We will give it another go tonight and hope she gets the idea that we WILL come back.

Rich.
    I get the leaving for short periods to get her used to it but why hang about to see what she does?
    She can't come to any harm in the cage, she won't mess, she can't escape and can't chew. Relax! Put her in it and actually leave the home for 20 minutes or so, don't put yourself through the stress of hearing her howl.
    Besides, you may think you've tricked her into thinking you've left but in reality she knows you're still there. She could smell your scent a mile away, and when you thought you were whispering - she heard!
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

Ok ok ok............

Thurso it is then .

Rich.

We didnt get as far as Thurso but we did go out, when we came back she had not only chewed the quilt to shreds but had got out of the cage ! We went out again this time putting the cage doors againts a wall and the chair so she had no escape.....

We was sure we could still hear her howling (half husky) a mile away, she seems to accept it now but we cant leave a blanket in with her as she just wrecks it.

Rich.

We didnt get as far as Thurso but we did go out, when we came back she had not only chewed the quilt to shreds but had got out of the cage ! We went out again this time putting the cage doors againts a wall and the chair so she had no escape.....

We was sure we could still hear her howling (half husky) a mile away, she seems to accept it now but we cant leave a blanket in with her as she just wrecks it.

Rich.
    Had the same problem once. Get some of those plastic cable ties and tie the ends of the cage to the frame. Then just cut the ties off. Assuming of course that you intend to keep your cage up permanently?

I was very interested in your posts as i have just discovered that himselfs dog is howling when we go out. Neighbours have toild me. also the other day himself went out and the dog howled, a horrible whaling, even though i was upstairs, what a fright i got. He is a very loved dog and the radio is left on for him. when we go out he knows we are about to go and he runs up the stairs and lies at the top of the stairs. Maybe he is too loved and spoiled. Not sure what to do about this howling. He doesnt chew or damage anything and has my cat for company.
    Live for today as tomorrow may never come

Quote Originally Posted by Fran View Post
    I was very interested in your posts as i have just discovered that himselfs dog is howling when we go out. Neighbours have toild me. also the other day himself went out and the dog howled, a horrible whaling, even though i was upstairs, what a fright i got. He is a very loved dog and the radio is left on for him. when we go out he knows we are about to go and he runs up the stairs and lies at the top of the stairs. Maybe he is too loved and spoiled. Not sure what to do about this howling. He doesnt chew or damage anything and has my cat for company.
    Your dog doesn't measure your love. He could care less if you live in a mansion or live on the steets, he is just measuring his own security by reading the security of the pack leader. If the pack leader isn't giving off an assertive energy that is what your dog will be reading and he will act accordingly.
    Leaving music on does nothing more than make ourselves feel better, believing we are doing what's best for the dog. For all your dogs concerned music makes no difference.
    What did you do when he howled? Did you rush to him and comfort him? We've all done it but it's not necessarily the right thing to do.
    Your dog will pick up on your energy when you leave him, if you are worried he knows it, if you're sad he knows it, if you're anxious he knows it and all by reading your energy. If the so called pack leader is giving off that energy then that cannot be good for the pack as far as your dog is concerned and he'll act accordingly.

We all need to bear in mind that dogs are canines not humans so to use human psychology is as about as much use as using equine psychology on us. Once we all accept that our pets are canines first and pets second then we'll have a much easier time.

I know I rant on about Cesar Milan but I believe in his methods so much (I've tried and tested em) that had I been more aware a few years ago when I had to have two of my dogs PTS, then the situation would have been extremely different. The situation that happened would not have occured in the first place and if it had I would have bought my dogs home from the vet and sorted it. Instead I've lost two beloved pets (1 I bred myself) due to my own negligence of what dogs are and what they need. Believe me, that's harder to live with than the actual putting them to sleep.

Hi everyone, here's what we've done with our current and past dogs regarding seperation anxiety :

( copied this from another forum i'm on but it works for adult dogs and pups )

• After the first 2 – 3 days once pup has settled you need to eradicate the pups separation anxiety “SA” , this is natural behaviour for a pup so please don’t get upset with him/her….
    • To eradicate SA here’s what we’ve done:

a) When pup is enclosed in his/her area ( kitchen, crate, etc ) ignore pup until he/she is quiet then leave the area and close the door behind you ( don’t even look or talk to him/her ).

b) Chances are the pup WILL start to cry, re-enter the area and again ignore pup, wait until pup has settled again then repeat (a).

Doing the above for approx 10 times is showing your pup that even when you leave him/her alone you will return shortly.

c) Now that pup is starting to get used to you coming and going, you need to stop pup from crying. Repeat steps (a) and (b) however: don’t enter the room again until pup is quiet, this may take a few minutes. Once he/she is quiet for say 5 seconds or so NOW enter the room ( again ignore, you entering the room is enough of a reward )… do this again approx 10 times…. Gradually increase how long pup needs to be quiet before you enter the room….. Done correctly you WILL be able to leave him/her longer periods.

Good luck it will take time !

I know there are plenty of differing training methods, most of them very good, the above worked for us. I’m a very strong believer in reward based training, in this instance you entering the room is what pup wants and thus is the reward ( pup starts to think, if I bark nothing is going to happen, if I stay quiet mum or dad will come ). For us humans and dogs overcoming “SA” is a must, you can goto your bed, the shops, work, anywhere knowing that your lovely pup isn’t going crazy in the house ( stressing the pup, which isn’t good for him/her ) he/she is happy to chill-out knowing you will be back soon.

Hope this all makes sense and helps even just one dog/pup.

*** please note NOT to leave any dog/pup all day ***

good advice is in the books the perfect puppy by gwen bailey and the culture clash by jan donaldson. both availiable on amazon.co.uk
    they will keep you right and help you understand why your dog is behaving the way it is.
    I thoroughly reccomend them.

Agree with you there Jean, culture clash very good and well worth buying.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast