Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pay at Dounreay?

Default Pay at Dounreay?

Any sensible comments on the 9 Directors who received £2.6 Million from the Dounreay Welfare Fund?

Seems it happens all over the World. Would go a long way to help in the North, but of course that monies come from a 'different budget'. Yup a different budget, but who pays for the different budget? The People.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Any sensible comments on the 9 Directors who received £2.6 Million from the Dounreay Welfare Fund?

Seems it happens all over the World. Would go a long way to help in the North, but of course that monies come from a 'different budget'. Yup a different budget, but who pays for the different budget? The People.
    instead if bloody being bothered who is being paid what should you not be more worried about this
    https://stv.tv/news/north/1395102-sa...nuclear-plant/

cancer rates are high in north east conspiracy i think not think about your children/grandchildren and pray for us all
    no one cares about this far up in scotland

Quote Originally Posted by cesare View Post
    cancer rates are high in north east
    Them Aberdonians should cut out the fags then.

Aberdonians can be at risk from naturally occurring radon (from the granite) as well which is carcinogenic and a recognised health risk.

Real Aberdonians would risk it for £2.6 million.

Methinks the Gov't will run out of money... I have heard that no matter what is done with the aging Nuke plants, contamination can last up to 20,000 years or even longer.
    One day I think they will put barbed wire fences around the area and post armed guards.
    Are the Directors worth that much money?

One day I think they will put barbed wire fences around the area and post armed guards.
    Nah that'll never happen!

Quote Originally Posted by sids View Post
    Nah that'll never happen!
    Don't be so sure. It has happened elsewhere in the World....and there will come a point in the not too distant future that they will have done all they can.......if the radio active pellets are being found on the beaches, the whole area is contaminated.
    Some items in the radio active cycle pretty well lasts forever. In the very early years of Dounreay they didn't know what they were dealing with, so they just dumped very dangerous 'stuff'.

If they ever put barbed wire and armed guards round Dounreay, I'll eat my pork pie!

Don't be so sure. It has happened elsewhere in the World....and there will come a point in the not too distant future that they will have done all they can.......if the radio active pellets are being found on the beaches, the whole area is contaminated.
    Some items in the radio active cycle pretty well lasts forever. In the very early years of Dounreay they didn't know what they were dealing with, so they just dumped very dangerous 'stuff'.

I don't dispute the dangers but isn't t strange that 30 years on, the wildlife in the Chernobyl exclusion zone is thriving with many rare species including wolves and lynx now living there very happily indeed and doing well, without any apparent ill effects.

But people?
    There are also liabilitity issues.
    Only time will tell....
    Anyway, big pay packets for certain people... it is the way our system works...

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post

I don't dispute the dangers but isn't t strange that 30 years on, the wildlife in the Chernobyl exclusion zone is thriving with many rare species including wolves and lynx now living there very happily indeed and doing well, without any apparent ill effects.
    I don't think that's entirely accurate. Many of the species have stunted growth, fertility problems and shortened life spans; depending on proximity to radio activity.
    With regard to waste is'nt Finland digging a big whole for the worlds radioactive waste?

Was speaking with a person who knows about these 'things', and humans do not yet know the full 'story' on radiation!
    There are unknown quantities there that are unmeasureable....
    Did you know that there are 'official nuke' dumping sites in The South of Scotland, one being a deep water one in SW Scotland....and the Gov't says that Tens of Thousands of radio active were released from Dounreay over a 30 year period, and Dounreay pleaded guilty to discharging radiated particles less than 10 years ago.
    And then there is what the Public is not being told!
    The dumped pieces have a 'half life of 24,000 years...
    We have no idea.....

I nearly forgot....and the 9 people in charge got £300,000 each for 12 months work? And this has been going in for years!
    Last edited by The Horseman; 09-Aug-17 at 03:56.

Well, I have known for donkey's years that some of it was dropped down a hole, according to the rumour mill anyway- yet folk up here are not suffering from measurably higher cancer rates or other ill effects than anywhere else. People still went on Sandside beach, despite Mr Minter's long campaign with Dounreay. A study was done years back on childhood leukaemia and it was not established either that the incidence here was higher. Not excusing what has happened but just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by smithp View Post
    Many of the species have stunted growth, fertility problems and shortened life spans; depending on proximity to radio activity.
    Are you quoting a loony website?

Quote Originally Posted by Fulmar View Post
    Well, I have known for donkey's years that some of it was dropped down a hole, according to the rumour mill anyway- yet folk up here are not suffering from measurably higher cancer rates or other ill effects than anywhere else. People still went on Sandside beach, despite Mr Minter's long campaign with Dounreay. A study was done years back on childhood leukaemia and it was not established either that the incidence here was higher. Not excusing what has happened but just saying.
    Dounreay was fined less than 10 years ago, £140,000 for dumping radio active material, over a period of 20 plus years. They pleaded Guilty. The problems with this fine is that the 'people' paid forit! Just came from another Gov't pot! This is no rumor mill.....Its all on the Internet. Simple search. Quite unbelievable!
    And the Gov't further admitted that they will never be able to clean up the mess.....again a quote!

No loony website Sids. Do a bit of reading.....The decisions to Dump the material was taken by Senior Management, being paid huge sums of money.... Do you think every study is the truth..... half shelf life of 24,000 years.

Waken up and smell the .....I dunno what!

No loony website Sids. Do a bit of reading.....The decisions to Dump the material was taken by Senior Management, being paid huge sums of money.... Do you think every study is the truth..... half shelf life of 24,000 years.
    What is the connection between that lot and Smithp's ideas about infertile Ukrainian short-arses?

Are you quoting a loony website?
    I was talking of Chernobyl not Dounreay. My only issue with Sandside is the smell of rotting sea weed.

Quote Originally Posted by smithp View Post
    I was talking of Chernobyl not Dounreay.
    Yes that's what I thought.

What is the connection between that lot and Smithp's ideas about infertile Ukrainian short-arses?
    I know it is great to be macho and used SA's, but is it necessary. Very few people do this board any more because of comments like that.
    I am not ' holier than thou' but guve us a break.
    TY...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast