Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Spirit of Caithness Online Community Vote

Default Spirit of Caithness Online Community Vote

Spirit of Caithness online community vote

15 groups have applied for an additional £1,000. The winners will be announced at an Awards Event on 24th September at the PPP 10.30. Everyone is welcome!

The entries are: Mey and District Senior Citizens Club, Ormlie Community Association, Thurso Town Improvements, Caithness Book Club, Lorraine Bremner School of Dance Development Association, Lyth Arts Centre, No Limits Caithness, Caithness RDA, Caithness CAB, Caithness Stroke Group, Befriending Caithness, Caithness KLICKS, Traill Hall Community Trust, Science 03 and Northstone 58 Stonefest.

Six of these group will receive £1,000, depending on how the people of Caithness cast their votes.

Cast your votes to choose the winners - htts://surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SpiritofCaith2017

Where do the many people of Caithness, who do not have a Computer or access thereto vote/decide?

Call me on 07801 530 218. I'll add votes in.
    Eilidh

I do not think you get it.
    In the North if Scotland many people do not have the Internet.
    You are running a system that serves only part of the Community.
    I am reading it on the Internet and you are asking me to send you votes? Duh.....
    I have no vote, just passing on a fact which is regularly overlooked.
    Actually in my opinion, a very unfair vote.
    Perhaps you should in the future take this into account.

All very deserving causes, here's a working link to the survey https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SpiritofCaith2017

Horseman, use one of your votes for Ormlie Community Association, one of their aims is to address exactly what you're talking about -

Many people are “offline and left behind” as a result of a lack of IT skills, equipment or affordable broadband. That means they can’t access many of the online services the rest of us take for granted, and at a time when more and more of our everyday activities are online. Our project provides a member of staff to help those who aren’t so confident using a computer to undertake whatever (legal!) activity they wish. For the majority of our participants that means looking for work, making benefit claims, keeping in touch with friends and family, searching for a home, using social media or using email. If individuals have the necessary IT skills then we simply provide them with the IT equipment and broadband they need – 4 days per week in Thurso and 2 days per week in Wick. Our beneficiaries are mainly the elderly, the unemployed, the disabled and those on low incomes. We have been running this project for 3.5 years relying on grant funding to keep providing this vital service to individuals. The demand for this project grows every year especially as more and more services go fully online. Our project is ongoing.

Foundation Scotland...

Please advise if this Community vote was featured in the John O'Groat Journal or Caithness Courier or any other Newspaper?
    Thank you...

Quote Originally Posted by rogermellie View Post
    All very deserving causes, here's a working link to the survey https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/SpiritofCaith2017

Horseman, use one of your votes for Ormlie Community Association, one of their aims is to address exactly what you're talking about -

Many people are “offline and left behind” as a result of a lack of IT skills, equipment or affordable broadband. That means they can’t access many of the online services the rest of us take for granted, and at a time when more and more of our everyday activities are online. Our project provides a member of staff to help those who aren’t so confident using a computer to undertake whatever (legal!) activity they wish. For the majority of our participants that means looking for work, making benefit claims, keeping in touch with friends and family, searching for a home, using social media or using email. If individuals have the necessary IT skills then we simply provide them with the IT equipment and broadband they need – 4 days per week in Thurso and 2 days per week in Wick. Our beneficiaries are mainly the elderly, the unemployed, the disabled and those on low incomes. We have been running this project for 3.5 years relying on grant funding to keep providing this vital service to individuals. The demand for this project grows every year especially as more and more services go fully online. Our project is ongoing.
    Congrats on your endeavour.
    15/20 years ago The UK was away ahead of North America in Internet/text etc. Now it is the opposite.
    I was recently in Caithness and know of many people who are not Internet Connected, in fact at one point I had to go to Upper Lybster ( to the top of the hill) to make a phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by The Horseman View Post
    Foundation Scotland...

Please advise if this Community vote was featured in the John O'Groat Journal or Caithness Courier or any other Newspaper?
    Thank you...
    Apologies, from your earlier post I thought you meant how could people CAST a vote, rather than find out about it in the first place.

I have done a press release for the Groat, couldn't say for sure whether it will appear. I've sent it to someone at the radio too.

The 15 groups have been sent a flyer they could pass to people, or put up as a poster, or whatever suits them.

The vote is open until 11th September, so plenty time to do other things - happy to gather suggestions!

Eilidh

Thank you..... I just feel that people who are without Internet of mobile phones, are continually being left out of the loop. I suppose someone who is attached to these projects can connect with you, but where do people find out about it?
    I haven't seen it on any of the Community Web sites.
    This is not a criticism, just that there are some groups who quietly go about their business with their own website.....
    e.g. Berriedale, Dunbeath, Latheron, Lybster and the list goes on.
    I am not in the North now but visit regularly and understand that to advertise in the Newspapers costs money. It is difficult as you don't want to spend money on ads as this depletes the prize money.
    FYI....Public Broadcasting, including Newspapers have to give a certain percentage of their time or space to Public Service announcements.
    Just something to keep in the back of 'The Mind'.
    I am Finis......ty...

No scheme is perfect but this one is pretty good. I have voted.

Just to point out that the date on the first post is incorrect - the Event is on Sat 23rd Sep, 10.30, PPP.

Voting is still open until 11th Sep.

NOTE: SATURDAY 23rd, not 24th as originally stated.