Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Beware caithness

Default Beware caithness

BEWARE CAITHNESS approx 9 pm last night, three people parked car at gate and walked down road, and climbed over gate into my compound which is around property. I arrived on quad and they stated that they were not trespassing, and not breaking in as not broken anything, then two climbed over gate again, one person was outside. Police called and arrived and said as no damage done they could do nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2598.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	93.8 KB 
ID:	32506   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2612.jpg 
Views:	505 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	32507  

what part of the county are you in

since when was climbing over a barbed wire topped gate and into someone else's (i.e. NOT theirs) property not considered trespassing or at least done with intent to eye up what there was for pilfering.

donss Guest

Might help if you state where this is, and also If you rotate your pics...

Well, pass the car licence plate number around in case other people experience the same thing on their properties.

look familiar ?

Name:  IMG_2598.jpg
Views: 1305
Size:  61.8 KB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2598.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	32512  

The days of anyone having respect for some one else's property in Caithness has reseeded into the past, I get called a pervert for taking photos, racial abuse for being English (mother from Caithness, and i went to Watten School at one time, live here 25 years) The days of looking to the police for enforcing the law seamed to have past, or as it appears there is no law. Just giving anyone who owns property your on your own now.

concerned resident please be assured that for most the Right to Roam in Scotland does not preclude good manners and common courtesy. Unfortunately there are some numpties in any community who can't see beyond their own selfish wants and needs. If your gate has been damaged as a result of them climbing it you have a case, you have the evidence you should pursue plod.
    'We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike.'
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by concerned resident View Post
    The days of anyone having respect for some one else's property in Caithness has reseeded into the past, I get called a pervert for taking photos, racial abuse for being English (mother from Caithness, and i went to Watten School at one time, live here 25 years) The days of looking to the police for enforcing the law seamed to have past, or as it appears there is no law. Just giving anyone who owns property your on your own now.
    Hope you haven't libelled anyone.

I was so astonished to hear that you're English.

Typical Caithness.org thread

someone brings up a valid point and as per usual people jump on to criticise them, this time for the right to protect their own property.
    i wonder if the poster who claims they were looking for new fishing spots would be happy if 3 guys climbed into his garden at 9pm at night, to see if they could find an, as yet, undiscovered river full of salmon in his garden.
    i have heard it all now

A couple of months ago one evening, I was in Caithness and to get a Mobile Signal I had to go to 'high ground'.
    I went up a side road around Latheron and near the top stopped partly on the edge of a long driveway.
    After a few minutes later I had a Visitor on an ATV who came down the laneway, went round my vehicle a couple of times and then closed the gate, all the time glowering at me.
    I suppose I understand his concern, and then remember an incident from 25 years ago.
    I was at Latheron Cemetary and parked my rental vehicle at the Gunn Museum. I walked half way in, and suddenly heard a horn blowing repeatedly. I ran to my car and saw a man and woman at the window. I shouted at them and they got into a vehicle and took off.
    Stupid me had left two cameras on the passenger's seat, and the window slightly down. Obviously they wanted to 'use my camera'!
    So, I got into my car and went to the pay phone in Latheron and called the 'bobbies'. Later I hear they were caught down the line with othe people's property they had stolen
    I suppose the moral is....be suspicious!

Quote Originally Posted by auk View Post
    Typical Caithness.org thread

someone brings up a valid point and as per usual people jump on to criticise them, this time for the right to protect their own property.
    i wonder if the poster who claims they were looking for new fishing spots would be happy if 3 guys climbed into his garden at 9pm at night, to see if they could find an, as yet, undiscovered river full of salmon in his garden.
    i have heard it all now
    It's the Highland Clearances all over again!

Fat cat southern landlords starving the peasantry of a few sellags.

Interesting points being discussed here.

Most low paid workers vote left wing...until they come into money, then they are happy to vote right wing to protect what they have https://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e-conservative Most people who have worked hard and taken risks want to protect what is theirs.

Did the lads scaling the fence need to? Or could they have found a less blocked way to get to the sea? Not knowing where the photo was taken, I can't comment.

Another point. Why were the lads fishing all day, lets hope all three took the day off work and are not claiming 'brew money'. If they are claiming, how was fishing all day 'actively looking for work'

As for the posts regarding 'the English' most people who claim Scottish heritage are in fact of French origin. Example all the Sinclairs are distantly related to the St Clairs who were Norman invaders. Very few 'locals' have been here for more than a thousand years. So the vast majority of us are non native. Our wonderful SNP leader keeps stating the Scots are an inclusive tolerant society who welcome foreigners............clearly not the case with some locals up here. Or is it all foreigners except the English?

If Sinclairs are French because of the Norman overlords St Clair, does that mean the previous occupants vanished and post-1066 Caithness was populated entirely by Norman overlords?

Or did the lower orders adopt the name?

On the .Org is an interesting article about the population of this area. http://www.caithness.org/history/fam...yinsurname.htm TRUE Scottish were the Picts, how many of us can claim Pictish descendants? Very few would be my guess, therefore our ancestors were invaders not original inhabitants.
    Another common local name 'Gunn is apparently Norse in origin Caithness surnames, such as Gunn, are Norse in origin https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caithness

What I am trying to get across is that we were all 'incomers' at one time. So we should all be tolerant of everyone.....even my arch rival in Reay!

If there's any truth in this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    By 1400, most English and some Scottish people used surnames, but many Scottish and Welsh people did not adopt surnames until the 17th century, or even later.
    , your surname doesn't tell you much about your genetic ancestry pre-1400, or possibly pre-1600.