Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: EDGE OF THE WORLD- MORE!

Anonymous Guest

I was on the Edge of the World (EOTW) committee from day one to the last (spanning some 7 years of operation - 1990 to 1997). It was me who came up with the name. Therefore I own the copyright. EOTW was also a registered Scottish Charity with a bank account and Inland Revenue ties. I would prefer if this name was not used again in a musical/Caithness context. 'Ends of the Earth' gives your scenario a "fresh start" with no pre-conceptions etc.

I have also been active musically for some 22 years (18 years in Caithness). I'm in the process of building a (serious) recording studio. I've played Blues, Jazz, Pop, Rock, Reggae, Big Band, Theatre, Scottish & Country music. I present a show on local radio. You could say musically speaking I've got some 'experience'. All I can say to you is GOOD LUCK with your multi band event. 17 bands in 10.5 hours! I'd like to see that. Hope they are slick at getting their gear on and off the stage, otherwise they won't be playing for very long (10 minutes to get on, 10 to get off, that leaves about 17 minutes of playing time - IF everything goes SMOOTHLY! - which it doesn't)

Have you thought of: Security, refreshments, toilets, ticket sales, advertising, electric supply, waste disposal, stage layout, parking, programme planning, post event clearing, PA system, stage erection/dismantle (or lorry supply), it goes on & on. (ever had to clean a SERIOUSLY blocked, hired toilet - the day after the event? - pick broken glass from the Viewfirth playing fields - BY HAND?) - Lots of things to think about, that most bands after their 30 minutes of glory have no interest in what-so-ever!

O yes, the OASIS thing! I was at that meeting also. Yes, it was mentioned but the person suggesting the scenario (not on the EOTW committee), never came back with a firm offer or contract with the Oasis Management Team (Did they really have the contacts they boasted off in the first place?) I suggest this was mainly about looking good at a meeting and hot Air. (which there's lots of in the music industry).

Another twist to the tale ! EOTW very carefully (when relocating to Scarbster Farm) chose a weekend that would not clash with a local event, such as a gala day, County Show, or Highland Games. 6 weeks before our last event (1997) we were informed that Thurso Town Improvements had moved Thurso Gala to the same weekend as EOTW (You need to start planning 6 MONTHS in advance and book bands, hire PA's, Marquees etc just to GET them). This nice gesture KILLED EOTW. (who had a £15,000 gross turnover that year). So to donate all proceeds of your planned event to this organisation, I find VERY repugnant.

Please, The Blue Monday organisation is far more deserving.

Bonzo Guest

Hmmm.
    Fair enough, we need more music and anything that'll assist has to be a good thing. No point in dwelling on the past perhaps, but if we don't learn the lessons, will we ever solve the problems???
    I find however that the basic 'anti EOTW committee' content in some submissions grossly offensive, calling into question the intergrity and motivation of those who worked VERY hard over the 7 years to acheive something sustainable for charitable purposes and to further modern music in the area. I don't care that this is a board for general opinions and chat, if someone posts an opinion as strong as some of this stuff, it is necessary that effective debate takes place to identify if that individual has any basis for those opinions, and decent evidence to back them up: in this case I very much doubt it! Please note: Heblix's supposition that 'negative attitudes by the committee...' caused the death of EOTW is WRONG!
    To those of you joining in the debate and aligning yourselves alongside Mr. Heblix, be very careful, especially if your knowledge of the affairs of this group is less than complete or is based on hearsay and the spoutings of people who said a lot but were mysteriously missing when the planning, working and clearing up were required. If you weren't there throughout you cannot have any idea of what went on and why. Where were you when the muck hit the fan??
    Re Oasis: I was also there. Just cos someone says they are on personal terms with Noel, it doesn't mean they actually are. If there had been 'serious interest', don't you think it would have been debated at many committee meetings, or perhaps you only attended that single public one? (if you were so fired up about it, why didn't you seek nomination to the committee)? Does anyone seriously consider that they would have played here? How would their fee have been met? (remember they were at their peak at that point)? Had EOTW started spouting off about 'Oasis play in Thurso' and they subsequently hadn't appeared, would that have been a PR disaster? If they were on UK tour, why would people have come here in their droves, when they could have seen them closer to home? And finally, would the great mass of Caithness music lovers have turned out to see them, or would they have (a) complained about the ticket price (b) prefer to go to the Gala parade then to get blitzed at Skinandis, dancing to either Dad-rock durge or chart dance stuff, or (c) boycotted the event because they 'disagreed with the committee... Let's THINK before we post please!
    This may not be the best medium for the great Caithness Rock & Roll debate but it's here and that's what counts. EOTE? Fair enough. But before we go any further, will those who have a gripe either post the WHOLE story of their knowledge & place in the proceedings or reassess their position and let's move forward.

spittalpunks Guest

Firstly Bonzos comments are spot on and secondly a few bits on Deemac's reply.

He is right ditch any connection with EOTW its history last century infact move on

also Deemac you missed out some seriously big requirements

Council approval
    Police relations (ok security might cover that)
    1st Aid
    Fire (no fire extinguishers on the edge of the world stages it I mind right, you get sued for that now ha ha)
    also the residents don't mind them getting much say in things.

also what about insurance thats a nightmare

also I have rakes of experience in this field but thesedays choose to waste my time on other ventures been there done that and both Deemac and Bonzo hit the nail on the head the people who organise these events get flak from all sides get no thanks and people then wonder why they pack it in.

too many experts not enough grafters in my book

not all the bands swan about like they are playing a stadium gig but some of them need a serious reality check its Caithness not the USA!!!!!!

anyway 10/10 for the people who want to do this but its a massive commitment and the people doing it have to work like dogs for success but it does work I've seen it/done it

also the biggest peril of them all........

Caithness weather!!!!!!

you have 2 have a back up plan/alternative venue for when that unplanned monsoon hits

fal to prepare ....prepare to fail as some wise radge said

spittalpunks Guest

Just forgot some wee bits

for my money EOTW went Pete Tong and made mistakes prior to the final one that the Gala didn't aid by having gigs on when Scotland were playing in the World Cup (dates that are announced the December before) and everybody was in the pub getting jakied watching us getting humped (but thats another debate) also think they clashed with the Old Firm being on the box too if I mind right

you need to look at the bigger picture virtually everything is a potential distraction you just gotta work out which ones cause the most damage

also a varied musical outlook ,EOTW got too snobby towards the end looking down its nose at the indie kids etc thats commercial suicide in my book

to quote one wag ' This is a cultural Chernobyl'

but you can't please everybody and you never will

its a long way to next summer so don't be disheartened Bonzo and Deemac are just spelling out the harsh realities of undertaking such a venture but believe me its well worth it

Lets kill the debate about the past now and move on and start building Heblix the balls in yer court

Anonymous Guest

spittalpunks Guest

Crikey the prams been knocked over and the dummy spat out

constructive criticism and a bit off sensible advice from people in the know! merits a toys out the playpen reply then you ain't grown up enough to take on a venture of this magnitude

also try spellchecker too UNFEAD!!!wee bit of a rant hitting keys at random ha ha

just get back on yer horse and gee it a go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous Guest

Sorry to nitpick! Yes, we had fire extinguishers, insurance, First Aid, Police consultation. After 7 years you learn the hard way.

Seems a pity Heblix has binned the event. One of the lesson I learnt, is that you need to be a , pig headed, thick skinned and inspirational! (all at the same time)

GO FOR IT - Learn the mistakes, IT's THE ONLY PATH (Lord of the Rings is TOO much in my head just now!)

As stated, this is about Caithness, Music and LIFE.

Anonymous Guest

O Yes - Didn't know of the World Cup/Old firm game angle! - Nice one (Only interested in F1 myself). I can see why this would have an effect on attendance figures!

Music is my god. I never saw the point of sub-divisional Tribal competition stuff!

Anonymous Guest

Oooooh - Didn't know I'd get banned for using a word to describe a 'fatherless child' - SO SORRY . . (Is there a list I can consult, so as to avoid this Banning procedure?)

hmmm

This is very interesting. Seems to me that the whole process of developing this "festival" is fraught with difficulties which some of the previous posters have clearly described. I am not a music expert nor am I an events organiser but it seems that a lot of the pitfalls described could be solved by engaging with local hotels and bars and pubs and encouraging each town - Wick and Thurso - to hold a music weekend of some description. This could involve bands playing in as many venues as possible over a particular weekend and could even attract a wider and more varied audience than a festival in a field would...lets face it folks wading through mud and standing in the rain and peeing in chemical toilets loses its attraction once you get past a certain age. Seems like everyone would be a winner - businesses would make money - customers would see a varied selection of bands and music - bands would get maximum play time and i think it would be fun fun fun.

Anonymous Guest

Yes - EOTW did a multi-venue/pub year as well, spread over a week. (1995 I think) Lots of different stuff/acts etc. Tends to have far less of a buzz or public interest as they can see that most weekends anyway, but as you say lots of logistical hassels are removed. There's something 'primal' about the outdoors and music! (Along with the mud and horrible toilets!)

Bonzo Guest

Appreciate all the supportive posts and value the debate from those who know and/or care, but I'm mystified as to Heblix's response...
    How can he make those comments regarding the previous EOTW committee in a public debate, then back out without clarifying his position re knowledge of affairs as requested, particularly the intriguing Oasis situation?

How can he post a request for information, implying that he speaks with authority on behalf of CFT (and TTIA), then have to 'consult CFT' and decide unilaterally to bin the event? What does that tell us about CFT? And how was the gig his (or CFT's) to bin anyway???

What on earth was CFT's involvement? The early threads indicated that CFT would vehemently defend it's 'copyright' of the event, which to my mind puts CFT precisely in the position Heblix complained so bitterly about (EOTW...their baby... not up for adoption...)

How come Heblix has the brass neck to demand that we 'come together for Caithness instead of tearing ideas to shreads like unfead animals...? Surely HE (or SHE) was the one who was tearing the old EOTW crew to shreds like an unfead animal, when the whole idea of EOTW was for the benefit of Caithness, and was a proven commodity???

Heblix, we deserve a response. This County's artistic community deserves better than a load of virulent unqualified tripe followed by a petulant abdication: You can't claim to speak for the community then walk away when the heat gets up. I might be called Bonzo but 'unfead animal' I ain't,

Anyway maybe we can all get on with scheming a future now...

Anonymous Guest

The idea of using different venues is fantastic and makes loads of sense. Surely someone out there has to pick up the baton and run with this and I don't think CFT are fit for the job. I think ( and I'm eager to hear Heebix's response to this) that CFT are much more concerned with Thurso Town Improvement and image that the Caithness Music Scene.

Oh, and people seem to have forgot that Caithness can attract big bands. Proclaimers, Levellers (Acoustic set admittedly), Teenage Fanclub anyone?

IMO, the idea of using different venues in the Thurso is a bit of a joke.

None of the bars openly enocourage live music in the community. No bar will ask a band to play, its always the other way round. You get the odd gig here and there where the bar asks a band to come back, but rarely.

there are only two bars worth playing in, in Thurso. The central and the newmarket

The Caithness Music Scene needs to be sorted out. When i left town there were lots of people in bands or starting bands, but nowhere for them to play. There are lots of talented youngsters coming up now and wanting to play live music.... it ain't coming easily. When i stayed up there my band used to get a gig once every month or so at the Blue Monday, but that became a bit dull and boring playing the same place every month.

The Aberdeen music scene is very encouraging. All these bands are writing there own material and have the opportunity of regualr gigs. Not because there are lots of clubs, but because people and places are asking them to play.

Thurso needs an injection of cash and encouragment on the music scene if anything good is going to happen!

Bonzo Guest

You're right about the scene. Mind you, I can't remember any real golden period in the last 10 years, it was always pretty hard to get gigs. (older mates remember better times, but there were always hassles) Its the usual catch 22 situation, band can't get gigs without audience, can't get audience without gigs!
    Punters could do a lot by supporting bands, but then again we're down to the fashion aspects: The music bands want to play (indie, thrash, punk...the list is endless and comes and goes like gucci fashions) ain't necessarily what people will pay to see, which means publicans won't invest in giving bands a break! What precisiely IS the market in Caithness these days? Are we still stuck with Bryan Adams & Hendrix covers as the lowest common denominator?
    Maybe if we ALL (ie Wick, Thurso and everyone between) identify bands, venues, practice locations etc and actively support a scene (through good and bad) there'd be a hope of getting some logic out of it all.
    A good example is the Wildcat Folk Club, where individuals invest money and a suitable band is brought up monthly, venues selected appropriate to numbers, music type, local musicians 'jam' in the intervals...It's not really very Rock & Roll, but it's a model that works. Also, Orkney Folk Festival is a monster commercial affair...
    We've got the locations for big bands (Skinandis & the Waterfront) and I'm sure the proprieters would loup at any chance of making money. Trick is to convince them and the key, as always, is bums on seats and pints down throats...
    We're going to put a band together, Sabbath, Motorhead, Bon Jovi Etc, purely for OUR entertainment. Would anyone come to see us???

Anonymous Guest

You have to ask yourselves who the main audience at any festival would be. No matter who your target audience is, the vast majority of the crowd are going to be 25 or under and will see a festival only as another alternative to Skinandi's or the Waterfront. Skinandi's and the Waterfront will always be the main attraction unless you have at least one headline act that is viable.

Also, if you used the Waterfront or Skinandi's as a venue then the 'kids' will go whoever is playing. They may realise that there are other types of music apart from the Cheeky Girls and Pop Rivals and that it is here on there own doorstep if only they would support it no matter where it is.

We were a classic rock cover band with a few modern ongs thrown in and nobody even bothered to offer us gigs(and weren't that bad)

The scene needs looked at and to be encouraged!

I'd like to see more bands play live music, but as said above, a lot of people want to play punk etc which not everybody likes

Its a shame

Anonymous Guest

Jeid,

What band were you in and did I ever hear you play at Skin's in my younger days?

As for not liking punk, etc., I go back to my previous point. If you have bands like that in Skinandi's, people will go anyway. Some may still not like it but you may gain a few converts. The more people we can get involved in the music scene locally, playing or merely supporting, the better.

It wasn't that long ago that my band was playing. we never played in skins

Your younger days!!!

Gimme a break, i'm only 19!

What your saying is true. But bands perform to see a reaction, not for people to stand at the bar etc

When i played i used to love it when people got up and danced to "Sweet Home Alabama" or anything like that

They were giving you something back which felt very rewarding.

Anonymous Guest

This is all a very jolly and welcome debate. Having been active musically for over 20 years, I have to say I pity young up and coming bands/acts. So much of the (musical)youth scene has been replaced by other distractions - the internet, mobile phones (texting), DVD (movies), Dance culture (the antichrist of music!), Computer based gaming, DJ's(musical parasites), MIDI/backing tape based solo & Duo acts - the list is endless. Especially up here, most young peoples only exposure to live music is a school concert or a Wedding dance. What happened to the country dances? (violence saw an end to that). Gala week Marquees with bands on every night?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast