Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: EDGE OF THE WORLD- MORE!

Anonymous Guest

Default EDGE OF THE WORLD- MORE!

SSI Guest

excellent stuff, .Does it look like this will definitely go ahead?

Default edge of the world

I wouldn't mind abit more info on this event as i am in a band(jinxd) and we could be interested depending on PA,timings,amount of covers etc etc.
    We have an event like that in wick but it was very poorly organised this year but theres hope for next year!
    You can email our band with any details at wearejinxd@hotmail.com

Anonymous Guest

Good, about time someone did something about ressurecting EOTW!!!!
    The last one we were at (and organised! - but wasn't under the EOTW name) was at Naver and was ACE!
    The year after that no one cared and it died a death!!!
    Shame but thats how it goes.
    The best thing to do is totally advertise it so everyone knows that they can play!!!!

As an active member of the caithness MUSICAL community i have one objection to your statement/idea,that is ... the money going to THURSO town improvements.
    Why not put it towards somerthing like the Blue Monday club that DOES include the whole county.
    There are roughly 9 or 10 bands based in Wick/The wick area just now that are gigging regularly.The Outlanders,TBA,SUX,Half Canned,Jinx'd,Storm,Communique,Acid inc,the Rebelz(sorry if i've missed out anyone else!)With more young bands up & comin'.
    I haven't heard much lately fae the Thurso scene or have i not been lookin hard enough in the Groat entertainment section !!
    This isn't meant to be a Wick/Thurso debate but do you see where i'm comin from make it benefit THE COUNTY for these young bands & people wishing to start bands & wur band wid be more than up 4 ed

SSI Guest

I agree; the Edge of the world should surely be a representation of the whole of Caithness rather than simply Thurso. Perhaps funds raised from this event could be put into more musical activities in the area, such as (as darklighter mentioned) Blue Monday.
    Another idea could be to help the musical departments of schools and primary schools, which would get more people into music easier at an earlier age..

Just an idea, this is a discussion board etc

spittalpunks Guest

EOTW was Ok then it went arsey attracting bands nobody north of Watford knew or really cared aboot, it was all blues and celtic typo stuff that didnae reallly appeal but still drew a crowd wanting tae get jakied on Royal Dutch Lager (29p a tin!!!!!)

If it is too succeed it should be kept local and put the dosh to Blue Monday not Thurso Town Improvements!!!!!! as its should be county wide, infact Wick has a far more healthier status in musical terms these days

also the bill has 2 be varied not all metal or blues or heuchter teuchter

varieties e spice of life bey

Anonymous Guest

Heblix you're missing the point ITS YOU that that's makin it a Wick/thurso debate!!.Take your blinkers off & read what ssi & spittalpunx are saying as well!
    You are obviously a commitee member for the cinema group lookin' for extra funding,correct me if im wrong Are you a member of one of these Thurso improvement groups?
    What good is it doin for us in Wick( where the majority of caithness bands are) if the money is going to thurso cinema group?
    It would also by no means be any good if it went to a Wick funding/group therefore a CAITHNESS group like BLUE MONDAY would be better for all.
    By the way i am not a member of blue monday & have nothing to do with them .I am a band member & have PLAYED at blue monday gigs granted but it is the best outlet for wick & thurso bands airing their musical talents though this the whole county benefits

SSI Guest

Yeah, if you want input from people surfing this boards, at least make the whole idea debatable. It seems that if this event does go ahead its going to be by the Thurso committees rules, so what can we possibly discuss?

Anonymous Guest

spittalpunks Guest

To be fair you are starting over again so in the first instance I would keep it small

No point going all out for glory getting some name band and the next year struggling to get someone a lot less known thats pointless and souldestroying

you need to build it up and start local then go national and if successful global

Bands like Tailgunner Idlewild et al failed to come up here as the vast majority of folk know very little about music other than what resides in the Top 40!!!! also the unwillingness to take a chance

If Ullapool can be successful why the hell can't Caithness

Anonymous Guest

SSI Guest

Definately, theres no point trying to start huge, until its clear how popular this event is going to be theres little point in asking big bands to show up when 50 people are there to watch them
    I can see it going well though, people of all ages need a fix of good music that isnt just dad rock covers, hopefully if the event does go ahead the quality of music will be of a high standard

Ok maybe av missed this sum where but when is this suposed 2 be happenin? as our band would be very interested in playin at it, we are wanting 2 try out som of our own songs and are wonderin when an where? may i sugest WICK.

Anonymous Guest

our band would be willing to play too if the chance arose, if we could find out a date and place......... if this thing really is gonna be happenin' lek..........

www.geocities.com/scols69/wastedticket

SSI Guest

Thats the ticket
    tehe

Bonzo Guest

Default EOTW

Hold on a wee minute. Before the debate about Wick/Thurso priorities turns to blows and it's decided who will or won't become megastars through appearing at this show, we should pause for some simple questions.

What's this about 'copyright of EOTW is registered to...?' Are you talking about the EOTW registered charity? Where did CFT spring from in the context of music promotion? Also, perhaps some re-examination of people's knowledge of copyright law and its interpretation is needed here...

There seems to be a sudden upsurge in knowledge & expertise relating to music here. Regarding EOTW, more attention to detail is required. Whatever happened to connections & communication through the local music community, or even having a look at the Groat archives? What is going to make the proposed organisers of this version any more successful than those who went before? Does anyone realise just how much organisation goes into even a simple outdoor gig? And what can we collectively do to motivate the mass of music fans in our 30 000 max county population to turn out for gigs as opposed to going to Skinandis/Waterfront, getting blitzed, then complaining there's nothing to do??

Prior to the 7 years of the EOTW's existence, the Folk Festival, the Thurso Free Music Festival, Rock the Boat, the Thurso Gala marquee dance, barn dances, and many other musical extraveganzas existed in the county over the last 30 years and more. The experiences of those who burst their innards arranging them should be taken into consideration.

OASIS for the EOTW?? The arrogance of the organisers?? Be serious!

Don't wish to be negative cos we need more music in the area, but before we rush off claiming instant solutions to a problem that's existed for years, lets not neglect some of the basic history and the basic requirements of festival organisation. Let's hear more please.

Anonymous Guest

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast