Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Russian Vine

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Russian Vine

Been advised against it, but I need to cover an ugly wall quickly. Is there danger of it taking over if I keep it in a pot?
    Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

It can take over. I have had one for too many years to remember. I give it a golly good thrashing with a pruner every year or two. Birds nest in it. I just love it, covers the pergola with blossom at this time of year. Go for it.

Fhallopia is of the same family as knotweed. Do you really want to plant a member of the knotweed family in your garden? It may seem like a quick fix, but you will regret it forever. If you keep it in a pot, It will be so restricted it won't do what you want it to do. No point in that. Many plants will cover an ugly wall, but not instantly. Have patience, choose wisely, and give the knotweed relative a miss.
    There are neither rights nor wrongs in gardening. Only experiences.

I saw the most beautiful Russian vine on the fence between Morrisons supermarket and the railway in Inverness today.

Have one in my garden for years and no problem controlling it at all - great climber for ugly wall.
    Remember we originate from apes.

As posted before, I love the plant. As you say its great for covering ugly walls. It thrives on a good pruning