Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Trouble loading software

Default Trouble loading software

I have a vista operational programme on my computer and am experiencing difficulty loading Photo Pro software.
    I have installed and reinstalled several times, but when I then try to open up the programme I get this message:
    " An error has occurred in the script on this page, line 604, Char 2 Error object expected Code : O
    Do you want to continue running the scripts on this page YES or NO ". I've clicked both, but it still denies me axcess. Any wise counsel will be gratefully accepted !!

are you sure that "Photo pro" is compatible with Vista? Should say on the CD etc if it is.

not a software package I've ever heard of (and I'm quite up on graphics software), having googled it, it looks like the nearest software would be that it's the name of the support drivers for a Sigma Digital Camera.
    Is that correct ?

Drivers for devices is just one of the issues that new versions of windows has and it's currently the main problem.

When XP came out there were a number of devices for which there were no drivers available and where the manufacturer decided to call the device 'obsolete' rather than provide proper support to the customers who paid their wages and rewrite the driver to provide support for the new version of Windows.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 caused a great deal of headaches too. As a rough generalization, it's pretty safe to say that new stuff from Microsoft always does.

If this software is a driver then you may need to contact the manufacturer of your device, and if it is for a camera then probably the simplest thing would be to get/use a card reader and pull the memory card out of your camera and use the reader instead, it will be quicker as well.

Best of luck

Default Trouble loading software.

I'm not the "Sharpest knife in the drawer" when it comes to understanding some of comments you made ( for which I thank you both ) but what I can add is, a little more info. on the actual software thus:
    Its "Softkey" Printmaster Photo pro 2 with editing tools, projects, photo-share etc I used it successfully for a long time when my operating system was Windoows XP

hi Scaraben - just checked it out and found out it and checked to see what it does.

I've used the odd bit of Softkey software myself now and again, some of it is good, some not so great but it usually a very good buy.

I very much doubt that the manufacturer will re-write the software in any hurry to provide Vista compatibility so you are going to have to look around for alternatives.

For the sharing and organising side of things my Mum goes loopy about Picasa which you can get for free from Google.

Many people (but not me) use Corel's Paintshop Pro to do everything that Photo Pro does and a lot more besides. Personally I never liked Paintshop Pro and use a mixture of Photoshop and an old version of Photo Studio to do my editing.

Not sure if anyone else can recommend some decent free Vista compatible image editing software as I'm content with the software (and operating system) I'm using.

It's the sort of software you can usually get bundled with printers, scanners, or on the coverdisks of magazines.

Adobe Photoshop works ok under Vista but it costs an arm and a leg unless you get lucky online. I see that Paintshop Pro works ok with Vista too.

Best bet to save a few pounds is to wait for a few months and get something from a magazine coverdisk to do your image editing.

you could also check out this software as it may be of some use to you and is Vista compatible...

http://www.irfanview.com/

Quote Originally Posted by scaraben View Post
    I'm not the "Sharpest knife in the drawer" when it comes to understanding some of comments you made ( for which I thank you both ) but what I can add is, a little more info. on the actual software thus:
    Its "Softkey" Printmaster Photo pro 2 with editing tools, projects, photo-share etc I used it successfully for a long time when my operating system was Windows XP
    Pretty certain that the problem is it just isn't designed to work with the new operating system. I haven't managed to find the exact product you mention, but the versions of Softkey Printmaster all seem to be written for win98 / win NT. The fact it worked with XP is a bonus. That is the trouble with upgrading Operating Systems as Microsoft like to dictate to us that we should do. It means that often it is also necessary to upgrade the software we like to use too.

from past experience you may have 'one or two' problems with this but it doesn't hurt to at least try this software as well.

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/

It's a very powerful image editor indeed it's called 'The GIMP' (GNU Image Manipulation Program if I remember correctly). It is intended to offer something of the functionality of Photoshop but for free.

I checked and on the whole any problems anyone seems to have had with it and MS Vista have been relatively minor and fixable, primarily related to fonts - for which there is a cure.

Best of luck

Default Software problems

Emb 123 You have gone out of your way to be helpful to me and I DO appreciate the information you've passed on.
    NOT TONIGHT >>> But tomorrow I will have a look at the software you are recommending. Thanks again.

no bother, just glad to help. Hope one of the packages does the trick for you

Default Trouble loading software

Well ( Like you said ) I abandoned the idea of ever getting
    Photoshop pro downloaded. I have however successfully downloaded Irfanview.com/ but for the life of me I can't bring the gimp-win.sourceforge.net/ "To Heel" I think I must be doing something wrong each time ! and it seems to be a very good programme too. ............. Don't suppose ( and I'm crawling to you !!! ) you could try yourself and if successful tell me the detailed steps ? or maybe I'm stretching your good nature to its limit !

Hi - I'm kind of tied up on something pretty uninterruptible at the moment but will check it out later and send you a PM

Default Trouble downloading software

Good lad, er lass ??? LOL appreciated.