Caithness Map :: Links to Site Map Paying too much for broadband? Move to PlusNet broadband and save£££s. Free setup now available - terms apply. PlusNet broadband.  

Thread: Dunbeath-which Parish is it located in?

Default Dunbeath-which Parish is it located in?

Doing research on the Simpson's of Caithness and I have a James Simpson who died in Dunbeath, but I am not sure which parish Dunbeath is included in. I know some of you Caithnessians can help me oot! Thanks for the help.
    Jackie

Parish is Latheron. Have you any dates?

Default Re: Dunbeath-which Parish is it located in?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie
    Doing research on the Simpson's of Caithness and I have a James Simpson who died in Dunbeath, but I am not sure which parish Dunbeath is included in. I know some of you Caithnessians can help me oot! Thanks for the help.
    Jackie
    There was a James Simpson living at Houstry in the 1841 census for Latheron, he was 70 to
    74 years old. Same house was Margaret 65 to 69, Finlay 30 to 34, William 15 to 19 and
    Hugh 10.

Default Re: Dunbeath-which Parish is it located in?

Quote Originally Posted by jackie
    Jackie
    I've put a map of Caithness with the parishes marked on it on my website. It was published by Thomson in 1822.

It's a big file if you don't have broadband, 1 megabyte, you'll have to save it to disk then look at it in a picture editor to see the detail.

It's at http://www.fredc.me.uk/thomson.jpg

Thanks for the map and all the info:
    The date of James Simpson death is Aug 18, 1854 so most likely it is that James that was in Latheron in 1851.
    If anyone has any connections to this Simpson let me know.
    Thanks so much for your fast responses.
    Jackie